Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hello all

Jonathan.
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Jonathan. polycounter lvl 7
This is my first posting here and I'd like to some opinions on what you kind people think.

Concept:
f5dis5.jpg

model:

2rn9bog.jpg

I know the lighting sucks, but I am still familiarizing myself with the lighting in 3ds max 2012 ( personally I like 2011 better).

But any feedback is appreciated.

Replies

• Orgoth02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 polycounter lvl 9
    Looks like a good start. Make sure to watch your proportions on your lights on the sidewalk. Also make sure that you break up the top skyline of your buildings.
  • Jonathan.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orgoth02 wrote: »
    Looks like a good start. Make sure to watch your proportions on your lights on the sidewalk. Also make sure that you break up the top skyline of your buildings.

Yea thanks, I didn't realize that the light posts were really huge till looking at the render so I will be shrinking those.

What did you mean though about the skyline?
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think right now, the buildings are generally quite thin and tall. For guidance, I'm looking at the 6 windows in the 2nd building from the left. They have (according to the width of the door) at least 20cms apart. About that. In the ref, there is a larger space there, at least 80cms. I'm using that for scale.

Also, the tall building, I think you can bring down all the windows and fire escape, they seem to be stretched vertically a bit. I am measuring it from the top of the building on the left of it is halfway through the 3rd floor window, which is correct, but from the top of that 2nd left building to the top of the tall building, it is a lot taller than the reference.

Wow, I hope that made sense. If I had Photoshop on this computer I would draw something :(

*edit* - sorry I just looked again, It looks like the 2nd building is a whole floor short on the tall building. I think fixing this would make getting the proportions easier.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Those streetlights are 3 stories tall. Are they supposed to be?
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bombshell polycounter lvl 10
    Ghostscape wrote: »
    Those streetlights are 3 stories tall. Are they supposed to be?

and they are thicker than the fire escape...
  • Jonathan.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bombshell wrote: »
    and they are thicker than the fire escape...

Yea I just quickly made them and then threw them into the scene. I didnt really work out the proportions properly when i was building it.
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    So I think this is what jimmypopali is talking about. Hope thise ELITE paint over makes sense :D

Untitled-2-11.jpg
  • jimmypopali
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha perfect. It looks like the concept, the smaller building is midway thru the 4th floor. Hmm, oh well. I'm pretty sure proportions is the main thing at the moment.
  • Addieo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You've got some insane proportion issues' just looking at the building on the left corner. Everything is a different size from the photo.

After a second view

You need to rethink the whole scale of your objects you've got floors smaller than the size with windows almost the size of the floor. Stop the modelling and spend sometime reconstructing it if you want to achieve an accurate portrayal of the photograph.
  • Jonathan.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, thanks guys I didn't realize the proportions issue at all...but I guess that was because of me staring at it for so long. It took a lot of work but it looks better now and in line. Here's an update:

fum14n.jpg

r1h2mp.jpg