Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ferry Street corner WIP

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Chemical Alia polycounter lvl 7
I've been coming back to this scene off and on for ages now, and I'd love to finally complete it. My right arm's in a cast from surgery for the next few months, so it seems like a good opportunity to focus on some personal 3d stuff since I can't be distracted by drawing v:

I'm sort of just modeling randomly at this point, and I haven't decided on any particularly cool compositions or camera angles to focus on, and I think that's my biggest issue with it. I haven't started high polying or optimizing anything yet since I'm still undecided on which direction to go with the stupid thing. Like, whether I want to focus on the scene as a whole, or build out a couple nice pieces in detail more fully.

Any thoughts or feedback would be wonderful, maybe I've just been staring at it too long. I want to see this scene done. :)

ferry_street_wip_3_by_chemicalalia-d3glkcj.jpg

23a479800043d5661105bc4e2feab63dd6aca49a4166764180121537a447c0386g.jpg

ffc04e4e550991f2bbeec63b4d5b37ef593dd2c505f4174c25c5a402d0b73f376g.jpg

d2afb5439e4e4922b755d47ce07801d845a76ecee246a2715e506e32dfd8cb9e6g.jpg

Replies

• Darkmaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkmaster polycounter lvl 11
    Great look here so far! Keep thinking about how to break these buildings up into a modular set for more structure possibilities. Can't wait to see some textures in here
  • brandoom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    brandoom polycounter lvl 13
    Good start,

double check the size of that stop sign though.
  • Mistry10
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mistry10 polycounter lvl 8
    nice start !
    is that gonna be your final camera angle ?
  • jarrede
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jarrede polycounter lvl 7
    man when I quickly read the topic, I got all excited and thought it said, FURRY street corner, to my disappointment, it was FERRY.

Still, its looking good :)
  • P442
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    P442 polycounter lvl 8
    looks good, but your signs look to be about 1/3 too large and some other minor scale issues with windows and doors. There is also a lot of unnecessary geometry, especially in the ground.

There a lot here, so you could go with several different angles. I would try to focus on one building. Try to make it interesting. Do you want it to be a nice town, an old town, a crime infested town, etc. Make that one building fit whatever theme you decide and then go from there.
  • Chemical Alia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chemical Alia polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks guys, I shall check out those size issues first thing.
    jarrede wrote: »
    man when I quickly read the topic, I got all excited and thought it said, FURRY street corner, to my disappointment, it was FERRY.

Still, its looking good :)

Ahaha, that would be something entirely in another direction. Lots of possibilities with that one.

P442 wrote: »
    looks good, but your signs look to be about 1/3 too large and some other minor scale issues with windows and doors. There is also a lot of unnecessary geometry, especially in the ground.

There a lot here, so you could go with several different angles. I would try to focus on one building. Try to make it interesting. Do you want it to be a nice town, an old town, a crime infested town, etc. Make that one building fit whatever theme you decide and then go from there.

That sounds cool, I have one building I'd like to be the focus. The pictures are from my hometown where I grew up, it's a pretty bad part of town over there, but I always liked the old buildings and row homes and that style of architecture, even when it's become all run down over time.

And yeah, there's tons of unnecessary stuff going on, it's still a block in but I'll see that everything is nicely optimized in the end. Extra geometry drives me mad 0: