Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Bulldragon

I was looking for a neat quadruped to make for my reel/fun and came across this little picture of a bulky dragon. I don't know who did it or what its from so I'm not trying to make it exactly, was more of just a jumping off point for a starting shape.

I'll be posting progress on this here as I work on it and hopefully eventually get a 3D Print of it done in late June.

C/C, paint overs, advice, reference welcome - please and thank you.

dragon_prog1.jpg

Replies

• seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    I know its a fantasy creature but at the moment the wing size seems odd, they are sort of inbetween vestigial and functional and are throwing me off completly, the rest of the body looks good though, interesting to see where you go from here
  • esquire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks,

I know exactly what you mean about the wings. I like the word vestigal. I'm thinking because of his adaptation to his environment the wings have become less used. I feel like the wings would be more utility and little if ever used for flight. Perhaps knocking away projectiles, blowing up debris and shielding himself. I could thicken them up a bit but the idea of thick fat wings doesn't appeal to me an neither do GIANT wings that would in theory carry him.

Thoughts?

Tomorrow I'll be trying to get some sharper edges on his plating/carapace.

Heres more progress after 2 or 3 hours. First pass detail almost done.

dragon_prog2.jpg

His front hands are going to be redone, the topology won't let me get a hand in their. If it was confusing looking he is walking on his knuckles (like a gorilla) I shouldn't sculpt them in that pose anyways, so I'm gonna straighten them out tomorrow.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome, the shapes are super interesteing!

watch those front paws tho, you might wanna focus on those so that the creature is more believable, right noow they look blocky. When the time come for posing your creature, it might cause problems.
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bombshell polycounter lvl 10
    the wings look like they would be used for a number of purposes, 2 that may be interesting to work with,
    Camouflage and shell. The general shape looks like they could fold around the shape of the creature, which would be more than suitable for reinforcing / camouflaging.
    I like the facial structure, just looks like the front of the jaw needs a bit more definition from the flesh.

Good work, I look forwards to seeing how the creature develops.
  • esquire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys,

Yeah I am working the hands right now in Maya. The previous topology didn't fit with the idea I had in mind, so I'm going to add some loops and give him some finger geo so I can start detailing that and then pose them how I want later.
  • fuzzio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking very good, keep going
  • esquire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update

dragon_prog3.jpg

retopo'd in 3dcoat after I did some tweaks suggested by one of my teachers.

Thats the low poly in Marmoset. AO baked out of xNormal and Normals baked in 3DCoat. Base color slapped on and a cavity map was generated from the normal in xNormal.

I'm only getting a single normal seam and I don't know why. Its on the front arms and is boggling my mind. Recently when I bake with 3Dcoat I never get normal seams, not even if a shell is upside down and mirrored etc etc, it seems to spit out perfect normals, this time however, I have the body shell facing up and the arm shell facing up as well however, clear normal map seam... not sure

I'm also confused about the strangeness on the back, the red line is my centerline, where the UVs are sewn together (Everything is flipped and stacked) In the normal map there is no such wavering or hard edges however in marmoset I get this sort of odd back and forth across the centerline wavering (green line), any ideas?

Thanks guys.
  • esquire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update time!

I fixed the issues on the back, turns out it was just the normal map wavering cause by baking without a support edge. I grabbed my half shell, took the centerline and extruded out a small chunk, unitized those uvs and hid them some where baked and BOOM no more waves.

Fixed the ugly seam on the leg turns out I was confused about one of my shells it was upside down and flipped so it was causing issues, I just righted it, and flipped it so it was the same as the body, fixed the issue except for a small seam on the inside of the leg, no biggie. rebaked everything and redid cavity/AO now I'm good to go.

Heres some texture progress.

Claws/eye/wing/teeth havent been touched yet, just baked out AO/Normals and did a color fill. Wing is being sculpted now and I'll bake it to the wings which will just be a plane. I'm thinking about giving the fingers of the wing (its sort of a mix between a bird wing and a bat wing) some actual geometry and thickness.

Other then that I'm trying to figure out a nice stripe/patching pattern for him but havent come up with anything yet, maybe I'll do some paintovers.

thanks for looking.

dragon_prog5.jpg
  • esquire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dragon_prog6.jpg

patterns.jpg

Texture progress and patterns. I'm getting close to being finished, I just need a subtle yet effective pattterning to break up the side of the dragon I think.

His wings need a bit of tweaking where its connecting to the body and I need to do the spec for the wing.

Then its a quick rig and pose.

Thanks for looking, any C/C or comments are appreciated.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    nice work sofar. Reminds me of a recent enemy thing from one of the webcomics I follow
    Modelsheets here and here
  • esquire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update, posed and tweaked some thingss. Longer teeth, teeth color, got spec for the wing done.

the DoF is cranked up a bit high for this still shot, I wanted to give it a chunk of depth, rest assured that for the proper turntable the nutzo DoF has been turned down.

dragon_prog8.jpg