Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First character with zbrush

so yo polycount, started a new character a while ago and i'm looking for some more feedback on it/crits/anything you want, so there it is !

take note that there's nothing that i consider ''final''(especially the hands) in there, oh , and it's a black mage redesign :P

front_view_hatless.jpgFront_view_hat_cape.jpgside_view_hat.jpg

Replies

• Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    You should look at reference as a lot of the elements in the model aren't very convincing. The cloth is especially obvious. This is what you should look at instead of trying to do it from imagination. There's no shame in working from reference, especially when you're just starting out. Even the pros do it.
    Also are you working from a piece of concept art or are you doing it on the fly? If you're doing the latter then stop. Resolve your design properly and get a buttload of reference for the different parts before you continue. I know by experience that designing things as I work on them results in poor designs and sloppy execution. If you can't do concept art yourself or don't know anyone who can I suggest that you work on doing studies of real life people and objects. If you insist on doing creative stuff then at least make it a composite of real life reference.
    How much experience do you have with 3D modeling? Because I'm getting the vibe that you have fallen into the trap that a lot of beginners do where they jump into zbrush too early without having refined their fundamental skills and understanding of 3D modeling. All of the stuff you have done here could be done in a root program like Maya or Max, and you would learn a lot more and have way more control and refinement if you did. zBrush is not a make-everything-awesome program. It's a small part of a bigger workflow. It's flashy and can make an incredible amount of fine detail, and that is what you should be using it for. Doing primary and secondary detail is still reliant on your understanding of doing it in a root program, and the better you are at modeling the old school way the better your zbrush work will be.
    Sorry if I sound ranty and mean, i don't mean to be. It's just that I see a lot of the mistakes I used to do and am now aware of, so I'm trying to save you the pain and trouble of finding out the hard way.