Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Guitar Textures

Hey guys. My first post on here. Im just gonna throw up some quick renders of a guitar im working on. It will eventually be put into a full scene. No Spec map as of yet.
guitar_2.jpgguitar3.jpg

Replies

• passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    the wood grain looks too big on the fretboard maybe trying scalling that tex down a bit.

im going to have to wait for a spec map to check the rest out since it relies on it so much.

though i think your a bit overboard on the wear like the sides would never get that woren out and the bottom left of the body wouldn't get much wear in real live either.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Why did you post this twice?

Anyways. Guitar looks nice overall.

I think your wear on the body could be more interesting. After tearing through the lacquer and wearing into the paint you could gouge the wood up a little...like this:

willie-nelsons-guitar.jpg

Also consider where the guitar gets worn. You have a big worn spot on the bottom of the body on the side farthest from the neck...what would cause this area to be worn? Most guitars tend to wear where players strum and rest their arm...so I would expect that wear to be on the upper side of the guitar.

Also, your fretboard doesn't really show any signs of wear.

When you get a spec map, that can really help here. Having high spec/gloss on the finish and dull wood in the wear spots. I would definitely like to see how that turns out.
  • JolyGrnGint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah the first post my links were messed up on my part.

Yeah i was Looking at Willy's guitar for some reference. Ill redo the textures completely and maybe take it into zbrush to get some more detail from scratches. I now realize my major oversite on the wear patterns. Ill post it back up after ive had some time to really get something going.

Thanks!
  • nordahl154
  • JolyGrnGint
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahaha thats absolutely fantastic
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OMG by how is this show called? :poly115:

:nevermind, Metalocalypse