Home General Discussion

Valve could charge @ssholes more for games, give benefits to "good" players

Replies

• Firebert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Firebert polycounter lvl 15
    oh i get it! just like how i inhabit the local bar so often and everyone there loves me so incredibly much that the bartender gives me some drinks for free!
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Finally, we can have police on the internet too
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Nothing can stop me from being a total eThug while playing online games.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    Nice idea but I doubt it'll work, it's more likely it'll just turn into one massive "grief flagging" exercise - most *social* networks have this problem whenever user input has greater value than a few gold stars.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    JacqueChoi wrote: »
    Lets start with getting AimBot users to get roasted.

Then lets go from there.

I don't think flagging for more charges would work out since a new steam account would have been a workaround.

Positive points, with detection of dupes by calculating their Steam rating could work, but of course, when that Steam rating could be just from leaving Source SDK open 24/7 it can easily be gamed. This is going to get tough for Valve to implement. :/
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    we live in a terrible world with a terrible vast majority. this will never work, straight up.

i can just see the craigslist postings now...

thisisyourfuture.jpg
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Racer445 wrote: »
    we live in a terrible world with a terrible vast majority. this will never work, straight up.

Why assume this have never passed valves mind?

They're the kind of company that would actually take every possible scenario into consideration, or they wouldn't even consider this thing to begin with.

Think outside the box, that's what they're doing, read my recent posts.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I'm pretty sure they have no plans to do anything drastic like this anytime soon. That was just GabeN sharing a few ideas in an interview. The only thing even close to this that they're doing soon is the coaching system in DOTA2 where players are rewarded for helping others in the community.
  • Zpanzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zpanzer polycounter lvl 8
    Another thought: What if have players rate other players, but they can't rate them negatively? So every player starts off with an asshole rating and then if they're helpful and good persons, other players can give them a "thumbs up" and slowly get a better rating. People could of course exploit this with their friends, but if the rating calculations are properly sat up, I don't think it would be a big problem. Also, other players getting mad at you can't grief you if you're a better player then them.. They can only give you a thumps up, and who would do that to a person you're angry at?
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Zpanzer, it would not be fair, and it would be like those facebook people with thousands of friends.

The more friends, the more thumbs up. What would happen if i only play with a small circle of friends?. Simplily, It's not fair.

What they should do, is to compensate the good customers, those who have a big collection of games in their steam. "so you buy a lot, you are a great supporter, free game 4 ya!"
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14

thisisyourfuture.jpg

sold his PC for ipad...... nice :)
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Didnt riot games do this for LoL?
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's amazing how many judgmental "pro-game developers" we got in here telling how valve doesn't know there stuff. When in fact they are the only ones with evidence in the games industry proving to everyone they can come original and re-invent the wheel.

I say just wait, they haven't spilled the ingredients in their bushes baked beans to tell us what they plan to a "T" to do in this very interesting idea. Just wait and we'll see what happens.:thumbup:

GO VALVE!:)
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    eld wrote: »
    Why assume this have never passed valves mind?

They're the kind of company that would actually take every possible scenario into consideration, or they wouldn't even consider this thing to begin with.

Think outside the box, that's what they're doing, read my recent posts.

i do assume that valve has thought of that, but it simply doesn't matter. people will find ways to exploit it, no matter what. valve could come up with the greatest system in the world and it will be taken advantage of almost immediately.

people are terrible, and you can count on them ruining pretty much anything.
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    i do assume that valve has thought of that, but it simply doesn't matter. people will find ways to exploit it, no matter what. valve could come up with the greatest system in the world and it will be taken advantage of almost immediately.

people are terrible, and you can count on them ruining pretty much anything.

Completely disagree. People are terrible because there are no rules against it, and the only way you can save face in online environments is be terrible back, it snowballs. Again i'll cite community regulated sites like reddit, digg, facebook. People bend over backwards to be saints on these sites and people love being in such environments.

Social systems work, they have worked, and they are hugely popular. If you guys think valve would be dumb enough to enact a system where a random asshole can join a game and fault everyone then i question your understanding of the talent they employ.

True no system is perfect, there will always be small bits of abuse here and there, but even a decent system would be far better than no system at all.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    The unlikeable players should have to wear gold stars.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Be a douche, get a bigger head hit box.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17

that would be SO amazing and like it takes several weeks before it to go down....freaking learn the hard way!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11

thisisyourfuture.jpg

Is Episode 3 included in that?

I like Marks idea very much :D
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8

Lol, I would totally support that. :D

I'm intrigued to this whole idea though, and if anyone can pull it off; it's Valve!
  • EzMeow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EzMeow polycounter lvl 10

Best idea ever :D
  • McGreed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed polycounter lvl 15
    Nah, make their balls bigger, and lower their run speed as it grows, until they can't move more then 2 feet by jumping (and losing 10% of their health from dropping their balls on the ground)
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    good players get FREE HATS
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Anyone that kills me should get an instaban, tbh.

Why not just re-route all tards to tard-specific servers, so they can all aimbot each other?

Then you pipe in that Rebecca Black song, unmuteable, every time someone kills another.
  • Gindil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP wrote: »
    I really don't see how they can implement this effectively whilst avoiding players being able to scam the system by asking all their friends to up their rep.

It's actually worked pretty well for Newgrounds and their whistle system though...

Say if you make some bad calls, your whistle becomes horrible. I'm sure that having someone able to meet their accused for bad behavior could make them change it somehow. Just a thought...