Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] Scott Petty- Environment Artist

buddikaman
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
Hey guys,

I could use some feedback on my portfolio. I realise its mostly medieval stuff right now, so im trying to round it out... any suggestions on what is lacking or what could be improved? Im trying to think of what to do for my next piece. Feedback appreciated, thanks!

http://scottpetty.carbonmade.com/

Replies

• s0id3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s0id3 polycounter lvl 8
    Hey Scott,

I would say maybe a modern day realistic scene and a major prop like a vehicle or gun could help round it out. Also I feel your descriptions about your environments and projects could be at the top of the image sets rather than at the very bottom, it's easy to miss.

Keep up the good work man.
  • synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    synergy11 polycounter lvl 6
    Your Arena level is amazing.

Good work.
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    Looking really solid! i think maybe some of the arena pics are a bit dark, there kind of hiding some of your work, that could just be my screen though, hard to tell.
    Like s0id3 was saying maybe just some kind of modern hero prop/vehicle or sci-fi enviro? it's still a very strong enviro portfolio though.
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Adding some texture sheets and wireframe would be great!
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    very nice work. those scenes remind me a lot of oblivion.. only yours look better. :D
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Ye i like ur sense of design. It's detailed by not overly-busy.

Texture sheets will def help provide some insight to ur work, u should include a few example with every set.

Apropo, I think textures r ur weakest point. They r good all-around, but look more like a good patch-up of detail overlay layers rather than an accurate depiction of a material properties. The rugs in Chivalry don't feel very ruggy, for instance, or the statue isn't quite anything distinct. Seige also has lotsa black in them... kinda looks like Unreal Tourney 1 style. Compared to ur high hi-poly sculpt abilities and sense of design, these drag ur work down.

Given that most of ur work is very detailed, it would be fresh to see a clean, minimalistic enviro (smt like the star-trek ship). I think sci-fi would naturally be a good direction, in any case.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Loving the stuff, I agree though about texture sheets and such. Also details about what/how you did assets for each shot would be good to know.

The "about" page should probably be relabeled as Resume.