Home Technical Talk

Help with zbrush texture from polypaint for low poly models!

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
dogzer polycounter lvl 8
Hi, I modeled a gun in zbrush which now I want to export to low poly.

rifle_03.jpg

I've done the retopo and projected the high poly into the low poly, so far so good.

Now it's time for exporting the texture, so I go to the highest subdivision level and make a new texture from polypaint, which looks good until I go back to the lowest subdivision level, where the texture looks odd.

uvproblem.jpg

I need the texture to work with the UV that the lowpoly mesh is using. It seems like the texture is being projected into a smoothed UV(?)

Is there another way to grab the texture from polypaint, but make it look good in the low poly version?
Thanks!

Replies

• SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    Seems more like stretched uv´s.Not sure if that can happen while projecting , since i always keep my uv´s as clean as possible.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I'm trying to recreate the issue, but the only way I can create any kind of warping from the high (textured) to the low (textured) is if I have Suv turned on.

Do you have the low-poly saved as an obj where you can just reimport it to update the UVs?

Edit: I guess I've noticed that in the case of extremely low poly objects, there may be some craziness with the texture warping as you orbit around the object. If thats the case the UVs aren't really moving, it's just the way zbrush's matcap system is drawing the object (at higher subdivisions you wont notice it, but only the lowest subdivision level you can see it trying to render each face as 3). If this were the case you wouldn't see a warp when seen straight-on, or if you delete the highest subdivision levels and subdivide it a few more times without Smt. It should also render fine in other programs. Again this is just assuming it's more of a dynamic warping, and not a smoothed-uv warp.
  • dogzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dogzer polycounter lvl 8
    Are you sure it's not just the way zbrush projects it?

Here is a screenshot of the texture projected correctly with 3D coat

3dcoat_textureProjection.jpg

Also, while the texture is projected weirdly in zbrush, the normal map is exported correctly with adaptative disabled and smoothUV enabled (I think those were the settings that worked). I found that the normals fitted the diffuse that 3D coat projected correctly!

I was thinking maybe zbrush does have an alternative way to make the texture from polypainting that works with lowpoly? That way I don't have to do the extra step of taking my models into 3D coat every time I do changes/fixes/updates to the texture?
    Thanks!

Edit:
    Evidently there's a difference between the two projection methods:
    different_projections.jpg
    I think the issue here Zbrush makes the projection works for highpoly, but it doesn't look well for lowpoly(?) I just don't know
  • dogzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dogzer polycounter lvl 8
    @cryrid: where is that Suv value that I should try to turning off?
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    In the geometry palette.

If I could make a request: would you mind sharing the ztl with the polypaint and geo that is causing the problem? I like trying to work on such problems hands-on, but that requires me to be able to recreate the problem. You wouldn't have to share the full model, just a small chunk where the warping occurs like the front or top.
  • dogzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dogzer polycounter lvl 8
    NO NEED! Cryrid I owe you one!!

I duplicated the mesh, and reprojected except this time I had the Suv turned on! (It's turned off by default) And now it projects correctly, when I go to lowpoly looks nice!

Kind of the same thing happens with normal map, except normal gives me the choice for enabling/disabling Smooth UV, but I didn't know there was a Suv button or what it did!
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Ahhh, cheers then : )
  • SpeCter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpeCter polycounter lvl 14
    I don´t know why, but this kinda reminds me of this:
    6649132wxc.jpg

At least without the top part xD
  • dogzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dogzer polycounter lvl 8
    hehe XD

here's the complete low poly gun with normal and diffuse, rendered with Unity3D (directx9 I think). I'm supposed to do this 'modular gun', the top part upgrades to other stuff!
    rifle_05.jpg