Home Technical Talk

Zbrush focal angle and faces

wannabeartist
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
wannabeartist polycounter lvl 8
Hi guys!

When you work on a face in ZBrush, do you keep the focal angle at the default (90) for perspective view?

In my current face project I ran into a discussion about the general shape of the head and indeed the looks from side and front are quite different.

Then again, 90 doesn't seem crazy as a focal length. What's your choice?

Replies

• wannabeartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tips!

Those are very good to remember. I generally don't put perspective off for other than some specific clipping and measuring stuff. Somehow the non-adjusted orthoview just freaks me out! :D
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 13
    The default focal length in zbrush is 50 unless I'm mistaken? It's up there pretty high so I usually bring it down to around 25.
  • wannabeartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darn!

You are right! I started this morning with the Polysphere project. I had no idea it had a different focal length! Just tried initialize and it's indeed 50.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I'm going to get the usual hate for this but here goes : no matter how you tweak it, Zbrush won't give you a proper perspective view (no matter what it tries to make us believe)

Sculpting in it can be fine ; its great for some portraits too, since very little to no perspective can work well for that purpose. (just like regular photography portraits)

However, if you need to preview your work in real perspective (for game stuff for instance), you have no choice - you have to export to Maya, Max or Mudbox and adjust the (real) 3d cameras there.
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah I have to agree with Pior. However if you don't have any options such as above the best thing to do is try to get it looking proper in both orthographic and perspective views inside of ZBrush. You can get used to ZBrush's wonky perspective but it's not recommended in my opinion.

Sometimes I like to throw my level 1 or 2 subdivision level into Maya with GoZ and see if it still matches up to my reference or concept and adjust it there using symmetry and soft selection to tweak things back into place and then reimport back into ZBrush.

Times like those makes me wish I had time to go ahead and relearn Mudbox again :P
  • wannabeartist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting, never heard about this issue before!

In fact it's a game-character and I'm doing the low-poly in Max later. Sounds like a good idea to take it there already, then! Thanks for the comment!