Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

<--Alien firearm-->

Hello,
I'm in need of a critique,

I set myself a task to introduce me into the world of hard surface modelling by creating a SciFi gun; an alien weapon with a insectoid/Cephalopoda! (Squid/Octopuss etc) influence to the design.

Gun_Sil01.jpg
Coming up with a few gun concepts...

Gun_LowPoly_wip01.jpg

...and the first pass low poly mesh.

I started blocking out the lowpoly first, to get the proportions right. And from that I'll build the highpoly version right around it.

Gun_Sil02.jpg

I'm still a little unsure of the design of the rear of the weapon, so working on some silhouette designs, not quite satisfied with it yet though.
Perhaps some kind of mount so it can be fired from the shoulder or from chest/waist height.

Any crits or comments would be helpful.

Cheers,
PM

Replies

• tonysladky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Because I'm a world-building nerd before any sort of visual artist, I'm curious if you've thought out the physiology of the aliens who would be using this weapon. I ask because the grip and trigger-guard look very much like they were designed for a human hand.

The version with the big shell on the back and no butt looks the most alien, but I think it would make for a stronger design if you considered more of the anatomy of the aliens. I suppose it could be a very human hand, but I think it would sell the "alien" aspects more if you had in mind an alien with a different sort of gripping appendage, like a series of tentacles, or maybe they're four-armed with each side having a big, less dextrous "heavy-lifting" arm and a smaller "fine detail" arm on each side. Or even just a big insectoid/crablike claw (which would fit the shelled nature of the gun you've already got)

If you wanted to drop the alien nature and make it like far future human or create something that humans adapted from the original alien tech, I'd go with #3 but with a more framed butt like the one in #2 (but don't lose that ribbing you've got in #3. I really like what that does to its silhouette)
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Awesome! Have you thought about totally going off the beaten track of recognisable gun design and making something truly alien? Maybe something organic like a glowing, liquid filled egg with handgrips and lots of wires and tubes.
  • Perfectblue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome concept, excited to see your progress on this.
  • pixelmitherer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tonysladky@ My bad, I should of explained myself better.
    Yep, I had a human / humanoid alien in mind when I was coming up with the original concept. Sort of a Gears of War-esque character.

GCMP@ Great idea! But thought I'd stick to a more recognisable form at the moment. But as you described that's definately something I'd like to try for a future project.

Perfectblue@ Thanks!

gun_Maya_Comp.jpg
    Here's the basic high-poly mesh before I start adding details; needs to go back for a paintover for these I reckon'
    And while I liked the idea of the wing/shield, it might of been an idea too far, and I might be time to remove it.

• RyRyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    Looks pretty sweet! It definitely feels insect-like which is great. Looking forward to seeing the textures.
  • pixelmitherer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Gonzo.

A little paintover update, worked out some of the smaller details and the colour scheme with this.

rapid_fire_energy_weapon.jpg
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    That updated concept is very rad. Love the design and the colors.
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Oh nice update there! I'm personally more a fan of the version without the cap on the back part. The highpoly seems to have some mesh smoothing problems there, but apart from that I think the cap would make the whole design to bulky and in your face. And it would end up blocking 1/4th of the screen if it were an fps ;)
    So in case you're not sure whether to keep or lose it, my vote goes to dropping it :D

Color concept is looking awesome too, can't wait to see more of this.
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    just make sure you test this from first person view to make sure all the shapes work (and post shots of course.) i think you can get the hood in there, just a much simpler one so it doesn't fill up the whole screen.

also, the edges on your high poly are much too tight for baking. they'll just alias when baked down. soften em up!