Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Master Sword

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Fink polycounter lvl 8
Just something I started last night and finished today. I have tight pants for Zelda games.... Just saying....

Critiques? :P

screenshot1vd.png

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

wiresmastersword06persp.jpg

Replies

• Ennolangus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like the model layout; only thing i'd suggest is the lower portion of the texture on the sword seems a bit out of place with the rest of the texture. I think it's just the white scrape/cut marks on it look too painted, maybe a little more detail in the cuts?
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    the hilt looks a bit cloudy. and the scratches on the tip of the blade are too apparent in what ill guess is the diffuse. keep the scratches at a low opacity in the diffuse and make it white in the spec.
  • Memory
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Memory polycounter lvl 10
    I'm not sure you need all those extra edges around the blade, center or hilt. I think you could reduce the polycount around those places and let your normal map do the work. Also, the diffuse on the handle could be pushed much further. It currently reads as render->clouds. Got some flats?

-M

edit: too slow =(
  • Fink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fink polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the tips. I'm still playing around with texturing the handle/hilt, maybe making it look more like metal. Any good tips or workflows for texturing metal? :D

Ultimately this will be for a final project/scene in the UDK i'm creating for class using some of my own assets and unreal assets to complete it, given the time constraints, work, and graduating...aahhh so much to do :P

trying to recreate this scene, not exactly the way it looks, but the mood of it.

masterswordx.jpg

• Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    not particularly metal but for different material types

http://www.nextgenhardsurface.com/index.php?pageid=racer445
  • uncle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Painted version seems to have vertical carvings along the blade, in your version they are missing :)
    Also I think handle should be little thicker, more to grip, you know what I mean. Comparing it to the original it seems a little too thin.

Good work overall :thumbup:
  • binopittan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The sword read as 2handed sword so i think the hilt is too short/thin. Also.. i,m not sure why so many unneeded loop in you lowpoly.
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    binopittan wrote: »
    The sword read as 2handed sword so i think the hilt is too short/thin. Also.. i,m not sure why so many unneeded loop in you lowpoly.

link always uses it together with a shield and not 2handed, so i guess its pretty much alright, its not supposed to be realistic or super believable, exegeration is part of the style :)
  • Fink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fink polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for all the helpful tips. I'm currently working on changes and will have an image soon :P
  • Fink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fink polycounter lvl 8
    here is some work I have done today :P

mastersword.jpg

• SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    your details are too small... i would bulk them up over-emphasise them.... at the mo they all get lost
  • Fink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fink polycounter lvl 8
  • Fink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fink polycounter lvl 8
    What specific details are you seeing that need bulking? :]
  • Fink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fink polycounter lvl 8
    Maybe some scratches like these?

screenshot17ze.jpg

• SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    all your details need bulking up...the engraved lines, the indents on the crossgaurd and the depth of colour in the red of the handles

new scratches are good... right overbllown scale
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    personally if its the master sword... i would get rid of any imperfections and give the sword an almost mirror finish to it. Its a bad ass sword, so time,weather shouldn't have any effect on it.
  • Cordell Felix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
    I really like the new deep scratches you added. I feel right now the handle is very dull. Try giving the handle some more character! That can be done mostly in the specular
  • Fink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fink polycounter lvl 8
    Shepeiro: I will try and keep the details consistent with the bulky scratches :]

Cordell Felix: Ill try reworking the handle and make it look more interesting :] I was thinking it would be cool to have some kind of ornamental pattern in the specular so it would only show up when light hits it.

oobersli: I have thought about this and my reason for dinging it up is that I feel like it's grounded more in reality with imperfections. My logic is that countless heroes of legend have used this sword, so I thought it would be cool to have the wear and tear of battle.

I also am having some issues with another asset when baking the normals out in Xnormal. If you guys don't mind could you give me some tips as to why other branches are projecting onto other parts? Or the best way to go about baking something like this without have to break it apart...

normalerrors.jpg

The details in the sculpt are still WIP. I am just test baking the normals.

unled2ml.jpg

• Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    are you offsetting with xnormal or do you have a custom cage. more than likely if you're offsetting the cage is reaching onto other branches, causing them to project over the actual one its pushed off of. maybe try making a custom cage. just copy the original mesh and push it out along its normals until it just covers the underlying( original ) one.
  • Fink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fink polycounter lvl 8
    Ah that worked. Thank you Oniram :D Never actually tried a custom cage within Xnormal.
  • artstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    ^ what Oniram said: looks like a cage issue. Regarding the sword itself, the triforce engraving really needs to be punched out, as it is such a big part of the Master Sword. Also echoing the handle comments: it's reading very flat right now, so that ornamental pattern in the spec might be a nice touch. Definitely a fan of the damage & history you're putting into it as opposed to the super clean version that you expect. Maybe you could even do two versions.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    If he were using ray casting, it obviously wasn't a problem with the cage being to big? Though the rays were to "long". Either scale the objects up or shorten the search distance for the rays.
  • Dimfist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    Many great comments on this. I think if you built the ridge up the center of the sword like the drawing it would bulk it out more. As of now it looks like a poorly blacksmithed or tin sword if that makes sense.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    You have way too much glow on the image, completely nukes out a lot of nice contrast you probably have in the texture work itself. The image you posted up on Facebook is better than this.

Aside from that, some of the things I previously pointed out were addressed, so kudos to that :)
  • sanketpro3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sanketpro3d polycounter lvl 7
    yea , you can try using the ray distance calculator and use those values for the min. max. front n rear distances. I used to face the same problem earlier for complex models, but now it never happens .
    :)
  • Fink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fink polycounter lvl 8
    Well here is my first UDK map. This is still WIP. I'm working more of my own assets to fill the scene, right now, all that's mine is the sword/stone, trees, ground texture, and some bushes.

zeldaaaaa.jpg

• Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks neat but whats the blue light thats on the sword? is that supposed to be some sort of a glimmering fantasy effect?
  • Fink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fink polycounter lvl 8
    haha, it's the overload of exploding power from the sword penetrating the stone...
  • Daven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daven greentooth
  • Fink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fink polycounter lvl 8
    here is some of the foliage I created for the scene.

treebeauty2.jpg

• Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    the terrain is definitely too lowpoly in comparison to the rest of the scene :)
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    nice :) you may want to spend a bit more time on the center piece though. the sword and stone its lodged in could do with a bit more love.
  • ZombiePlasticClock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZombiePlasticClock polycounter lvl 5
    I've seen a lot of people do Master Swords, but I absolutely love the texturing on this one. Also, haven't seen very many people do the entire area around it. Very nice job
  • Fink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fink polycounter lvl 8
    Neox: That is something I had noticed and I recently fixed it a couple days ago. My bad for not posting an update, but thank you. :P

r_fletch_r: What would you suggest needs more love? More/Less detail? I'm trying to work on ways I can make it pop out more from the rest so it's the main focal point. If you have any suggestions I would appreciate it! :D

ZombiePlasticClock: Thanks man! It's always good to hear that had done something different or original.

I still have a few more weeks to work on it, probably adding some more assets and tweaking the lighting. Thanks for all your support!
  • terrybuchan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking really nice mate. im a big fan of zelda too. from my knowledge of the master sword though, i think yours is placed a bit too far into the pedastal? i mght be wrong.

i think the center stone could do more being worked into more, at the moment its too low poly compared to the rest of the scene (as someone pointed out above). perhaps have a more creative shape.

i cant see the sword casting a shadow. i think that will really help the image ping.

im not too keen on the way the trees in the background appear flat, is there something you can do to change that?

looking really good so far, really like the foilage you've made. keep going and post more :D
  • Cooljay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks cool. Nice textures on this Fink.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    The stone at the moment has very cosistant edges, maybe segment it more and chip of some chunks(its been there a long time) perhaps some more signs of erosion and cracking.
  • Fink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fink polycounter lvl 8
    I can definitely address some of those issues.

The pedestal is kind of a boring shape. I guess I was just focusing in more on the original concept instead of trying to be creative with it :/ I'll definitely play with that more once everything else is done though. :] Thanks.

I think the trees look flat for the lack of light on them. They are more of a silhouette. Probably adding more bounce light would help that.
  • ZombiePlasticClock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fink wrote: »
    ZombiePlasticClock: Thanks man! It's always good to hear that had done something different or original.

No problem. Heck, if you don't mind, could you give me some pointers? I'm really bad at making textures, especially on complex models
  • Fink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fink polycounter lvl 8
    No problem. Heck, if you don't mind, could you give me some pointers? I'm really bad at making textures, especially on complex models

If I had to give any advice on texturing it would be to look at reference a lot. Look at different items that are similar to what you are texturing and see how it get's used, where all the wear and tear is. Oniram posted a really great tutorial link on generating materials for texturing on the first page. I would check that out.
  • ZombiePlasticClock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fink wrote: »
    If I had to give any advice on texturing it would be to look at reference a lot. Look at different items that are similar to what you are texturing and see how it get's used, where all the wear and tear is. Oniram posted a really great tutorial link on generating materials for texturing on the first page. I would check that out.

Thanks a lot, man. I appreciate it. I also need to learn how to UVWrap stuff (You know, get the surface on a flat thing to make the texture), but I'll find out how to do that elsewhere. Again, thanks a ton, and I hope for the best for the awesome scene you're working on