Home Technical Talk

High quality AO maps ?

polygon
Offline / Send Message
Bubba91873 polygon
I'm getting frustrated trying to render out AO maps from 3ds max 2010 to be used in texturing. The quality of my renders are not what i'd expect.Some areas are too dark, details not clear enough, unwanted shadows...

I do have some over-lapped parts but those I can live with and edit.

I've tried using both light tracer and mental ray methods, making sure the backgrounds and such are white, model asigned white material and setting sampling qualities to 128 etc... Takes me about 30 mins to render them out.

I'm trying to achieve a ao map that looks similar to this:
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh295/Bubba91873/AOExample.jpg

But I end up getting something that looks more like this:
http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh295/Bubba91873/AO.jpg

I want a nice clean crisp ao with more white color and less darkened areas with details more defined.
Been using these sites as guides to give you some background info:
http://www.eddybrown.co.uk/blog/baking-ambient-occlusion/

http://synthesisgraphics.com/tutorials/occlusion.htm

I watched the 3d motive tut on texturing military vehicles and the ao texture came from that.The tut is pro and should check it out.

Replies

• Bubba91873
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bubba91873 polygon
    Some of my problems might be coming from smoothing groups. That can be fixed.

Any help in improving the ao method is appreciated. I dont want to use high and low poly model bake method. Just want a nice ao from a model already made.

There is so much bad info on the internet btw.
  • cryrid
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    Maybe you can post your model too? It could just be that your high poly model isn't up to par.

If you are getting unwanted shadows you may have to set your trace depth so it doesnt send rays out into infinity. Not sure though.. haven't baked AO with 3ds.
  • Grimm_Wrecking
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimm_Wrecking polycounter lvl 8
  • Bubba91873
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bubba91873 polygon
    cryrid wrote: »

Yes I've seen those methods. I cant post the model as that would be ill advised.Its not mine and this is personal work and learning for me.

I dont want to bake from high poly to low poly models as that would invlove me making a high poly model for each bake and thats just not practical if I want to use the ao's as textures for 100s of models.....

When you guys mentoin exploding the model, are you saying for me to split the model along the elements or objects ? I was under the impression the mesh should be attached into 1 object ? Thats what i've been doing.And rendering all objects attached into 1.

BTW this is suppose to be tank models. Not boxes found in most tutorials...Almost every tutorial sucks on the internet and is designed to give speed results more then doing quality work.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Bubba91873 wrote: »
    I dont want to bake from high poly to low poly models as that would invlove me making a high poly model for each bake and thats just not practical if I want to use the ao's as textures for 100s of models.....
    Then your pretty much stuck with what your getting. AO maps aren't magic, they are totally dependant on the mesh they are baked from. You're only option is to make a highpoly or start painting the detail by hand.
  • Bubba91873
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bubba91873 polygon
    Would Mudbox be a better alternative for the workflow that I want to achieve ? Is the ao bake better in mudbox ?

The model itself is pretty good quality and I cant imagine that its cuasing the poor render.I'm taking care to hide/delete parts and move over lapped uv's as needed.The rest i'll edit in photoshop.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There isn't anything wrong with the quality of the ao, its the quality of the art content. As others have suggested, a proper highpoly model to bake down is the best solution, doing AO from just a lowpoly model is always going to give you poor results, this has nothing to do with "how good" max bakes AO or anything like that however.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would Mudbox be a better alternative for the workflow that I want to achieve ? Is the ao bake better in mudbox ?

The model itself is pretty good quality and I cant imagine that its cuasing the poor render.I'm taking care to hide/delete parts and move over lapped uv's as needed.The rest i'll edit in photoshop.

Describe precisely what exactly you think is wrong with the render.
  • Bubba91873
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bubba91873 polygon
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    Describe precisely what exactly you think is wrong with the render.

Too many dark areas and shadows are being baked by all the methods that I've tried.And theres been alot....

The dark areas are covering up too many details out of my ao renders.Areas that should be lighter are not, and i dont know how to increase that with just the skylight in scene and the mental ray setups im using.

If I were to use these as a layer in photoshop set to multiply, it would seriously mess up the base layer that I would use to start the texture process.Places would be too dark with not enough detail brought forth.

In the dvd that i mentioned from 3dmotive, I suspect the instructor used Mudbox to render out cleaner ao's with perhaps some editing in ps.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    it wont matter if you use max, maya, mudbox, or xnormal, your going it get the same results.

your either going to have to do a high poly and a exploded bake or spend time trying to docter it in photoshop.

and i wouldnt say all tuts are meant for speedy results i found some good articles on a ton of stuff including AO and normal bakes in the wiki here.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AO is a mathematical operation, occluded areas are going to be darker, completely occluded areas will be black. If your problem is just that areas are "too dark" you can simply decrease the opacity of your AO layer.

When we talk "quality" of AO, generally, you're refering to noise or other artifacts that can be reduced by more ray bounces, or more anti-aliasing. Anything else is related to your specific asset, not how good/bad X app renders AO.

The biggest difference between the "good" example AO you posted, and your "bad" ao, is the source content of the model, that model has a accurate highpoly model used for AO, with fine details etc modeled in. Other than that, the broader AO forms(which is all you'll ever get with a lowpoly model alone) look the same.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    it wont matter if you use max, maya, mudbox, or xnormal, your going it get the same results.

Well, if he's a using skylight method, other programs would offer an alternative. Softimage's AO baking doesn't rely on lights, and I think xnormal is in the same boat. You'd be able to control the bias/gain/spread distance as well to be able to tweak the results more as well to limit where the occlusion appears, if he thinks it is coming out too dark. Geometry is still heavily important though, as are UVs (no overlaps, etc)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, if he's a using skylight method, other programs would offer an alternative. Softimage's AO baking doesn't rely on lights, and I think xnormal is in the same boat. You'd be able to control the bias/gain/spread distance as well to be able to tweak the results more as well to limit where the occlusion appears, if he thinks it is coming out too dark. Geometry is still heavily important though, as are UVs (no overlaps, etc)

Yes, various apps will offer a little control, and slightly difference results, however his basic issue is just fundamental, expecting his AO to offer him something that isn't actually there, and never will be without an accurate highpoly render to bake from.

What you're suggesting, and what he seems to be looking for, is akin to someone saying they suck at drawing, and wanting to know if switching from a pen to a pencil will make them better at drawing.

OP: Modeling high resolution models for the purpose of baking normals and AO is standard industry practice, its best to just embrace it as soon as you can, instead of trying to hide from it.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at with the geometry bit. I should have elaborated more.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that's what I was trying to get at with the geometry bit. I should have elaborated more.

Yes I totally agree with what you said there, sorry if that came off as a bit snippy towards you, it was meant for the OP more than anything. =P
  • Bubba91873
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bubba91873 polygon

Yeah exactly.
    Like I said the mesh itself is quality and I can move the uv's off to the side in the uvw window.But results are same.

I thought since there was so many talented people here that there could be alternatives that most people dont know about, that would ease my workflow and produce results.

Plus, it seems that I can also edit the ao maps in Mudbox as needed with just paint brush along with the bake settings.Seems to be a much easier process then what 3ds max offers.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought since there was so many talented people here that there could be alternatives that most people dont know about, that would ease my workflow and produce results.
    You cant expect something for nothing. Blaming Max is plain retarded.

It you want to reduce the broad dark areas then use MR AO with a low distance setting.

infinite.jpg
    050.jpg
    010.jpg
  • Bubba91873
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bubba91873 polygon
    It you want to reduce the broad dark areas then use MR AO with a low distance setting.

infinite.jpg
    050.jpg
    010.jpg

Yes I know about this setting. I've changed the infinate number 0 to 7.0m and tried at 100m.In my orinigal example pic I had it at infinate 0.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    7 Meters!!!
    If your tank is modelled to scale then the distance should be about about 10cm

AO is shadow based on proximity. If you dont want the ground to shadow the bottom of the tank then you reduce the distance so that its shorter than the distance between the bottom and the ground.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hazardous polycounter lvl 12

dude!

Way to take a crap on the rim and put the seat back down on top of it.

There ARE helpful people offering solutions that maybe you should think about.

But you seem confident enough to know what your talking about so, have at it and show us your new and improoved results with mudbox, maybe you'll teach us how to improove our workflows......
  • Bubba91873
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bubba91873 polygon
    7 Meters!!!

AO is shadow based on proximity. If you dont want the ground to shadow the bottom of the tank then you reduce the distance so that its shorter than the distance between the bottom and the ground.

I was just fooling around with the distance settings to see if there was a difference, 7m and 100m are just expeirments in the distance.

The model is too scale, so if i'm understanding you correctly, the distance I should set that value to is the meaurement of the tank itself or the measurment from the ground up to the bottom of the vehicle ?

From my understanding all objects in the scene affect the ao render and "could" ? cast the shadows or dark areas I'm seeing.

I've also tried baking them seperately and as 1 object attached.

Beleive me, I am listening to everyone and trying new things. But I will not produce high poly models just to bake ao's. I dont want to waste the next 100 years doing that.
  • Bubba91873
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bubba91873 polygon
    Hazardous wrote: »
    dude!

Way to take a crap on the rim and put the seat back down on top of it.

There ARE helpful people offering solutions that maybe you should think about.

But you seem confident enough to know what your talking about so, have at it and show us your new and improoved results with mudbox, maybe you'll teach us how to improove our workflows......

I'm listening and being polite.If I knew the answers I wouldnt be here.
  • Bubba91873
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bubba91873 polygon
    7 Meters!!!

So a very low distance setting of 1m or 0.01m f.e. as r_fletch_r was suggesting in his picture be the way to go ?
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    But I will not produce high poly models just to bake ao's. I dont want to waste the next 100 years doing that.
    Are you prepared to spend the next 100 years trying to get the same quality from a low-poly-only bake? You posted a picture of what you want to achieve, but they only got those results using a method you refuse to. Don't take it out on tutorials saying they suck; you've been given countless methods and they all seem to be pointing you to the same conclusion. It might be time to take a hint and reevaluate the approach.

Also, there are some pretty talented blokes on this board, but very few mind readers. Until you post pictures of the AO on your mesh along with the settings and results you've been getting, then its a lot like trying to give over-the-phone tech support to a grandparent. I don't think anyone will mind that it isn't your model and you're only using it for personal use, just give credit.
  • Bubba91873
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bubba91873 polygon
    Here are pictures of the workflow and settings that I use. I typed in each pic to give a description of what im doing.
    http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh295/Bubba91873/Untitled-7.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh295/Bubba91873/Untitled-5.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh295/Bubba91873/Untitled-4.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh295/Bubba91873/Untitled-4.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh295/Bubba91873/Untitled-3.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh295/Bubba91873/Untitled-3.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh295/Bubba91873/Untitled-2.jpg

http://i259.photobucket.com/albums/hh295/Bubba91873/Untitled-1-2.jpg

And no its not my model.Im just using this as an example of what Im working on currently.

I could do a ao render with the map applied to the model if that would also help.

I set the max distance in the rtt to 1.0 hopefully thats what someone else meant by the distance value.

And thank you for all the advice.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm listening and being polite.If I knew the answers I wouldnt be here.

This may well be your intention but your coming across like you think you know it all.

What people want you to understand is you wont get a map anywhere near the quality of Alec Moodys if you dont have a high poly. All you will get is what you have shown, but with different tonal values.

So far as your render setting go your going way overboard. If your just baking an AO map then Final Gather should not be turned on at all. Your not baking a lighting map so the FG data is not being recorded. You basically making the renderer calculate a load of expensive data and throwing it away.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    you would of had a nice shinny HP to bake from if you did that when you started this topic.

if your original mesh is well made like you said it wouldn't take much to make your support edges and slap on some subdivsion surface.

and you would also be able to bake a normal map for nice looking edges and any details that are too small to make geo for in the LP
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mental Ray AO has very few settings and they're only found in the RTT window. MRAO doesn't factor in things like materials or lighting, its straight up proximity and angles between geometry. So the skylight and the materials you added was just pointless and you can stop trying to tweak that stuff.

You have three options:
    1) Bake from a high quality, high poly model. This will give you the absolute best quality. If at all possible you should always do this.

2) Bake low poly with a normal map applied. IF your model came with a normal map, you can apply the normal map, copy your mesh and pretend that the copy is your high poly then bake using projection.

NOTE: It will factor in the normal map when creating AO but ONLY if you use projection and 2 meshes. If you only bake using the 1 model itself and no projection you're only going to get the AO from the low poly mesh.
    This is going to look worse but in some cases what can you do... /shrug

Also note that if you have a normal map you can use the xNormal photoshop plug-in "AO from Normal map" (installs when you install xNormal) to create AO based on your normal map. This isn't a good replacement for baking from a high poly but it might be a better option than #3 and you might be able to combine it with #2... But its still going to look like ass compared to #1.

3) Use only the low poly. This is going to look like ass, as you've found out really nothing you can do about it.

Because mental ray is so limited in the settings department for AO (samples, spread and distance) it can be beneficial to use a custom light setup and bake a diffuse map with lighting and shadows turned on, I would switch back to scanline rendering for such an operation because mental ray takes too long and gives crappy results. BUT EVEN THEN you are still subject to the 3 options above and the quality they offer. By not having a high poly model to bake your AO from... so you still won't get good results.

Your pipeline is massively handicapped because you don't have a high poly model, there are no magic bullets or mystical settings that would compensate for this just a few things you can try to get slightly better results but they'll still be crap compared to the correct way of doing things. If there was a shortcut, people would take it...
  • Bubba91873
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bubba91873 polygon
    This may well be your intention but your coming across like you think you know it all.

What people want you to understand is you wont get a map anywhere near the quality of Alec Moodys if you dont have a high poly. All you will get is what you have shown, but with different tonal values.

So far as your render setting go your going way overboard. If your just baking an AO map then Final Gather should not be turned on at all. Your not baking a lighting map so the FG data is not being recorded. You basically making the renderer calculate a load of expensive data and throwing it away.

I saw the fg in one of the ao tutorials on the net. Lots of bad info out there.

After a long time on my own trying to figure these problems out is when i came here for advice.
    I've tried every method you can think of and it looks like crap.
    you would of had a nice shinny HP to bake from if you did that when you started this topic.

if your original mesh is well made like you said it wouldn't take much to make your support edges and slap on some subdivsion surface.

and you would also be able to bake a normal map for nice looking edges and any details that are too small to make geo for in the LP

You are absolutely right.
    I already have hq normal maps to work with as these are retextures for the most part.I just wanted to update these models with better looking maps and I wanted a firm ao map to start out with.So much for my hopes in a easier quicker way...
    You have three options:
    1) Bake from a high quality, high poly model.
    2) Bake low poly with a normal map applied. IF your model came with a normal map, you can apply the normal map, copy your mesh and pretend that the copy is your high poly then bake using projection.
    3) Use only the low poly.

After going back and relistening to the beggining portion of the dvd I refferred too, the instructor did use a high poly to bake his ao from with cage.He just didnt show it, only briefly mentioned it.Why I missed it.

#2 option is a possiblbity as I do have the normals.I did try the add normal map to low poly mesh and try to bake from that but that looked like crap.
    I didnt try the copy lp and add normal to it and bake from 2 mesh method.

I may have to break down and do some hp mesh for bakes and or use the 2 model with normals method.But Id have to be selective in which models I do this with.I do have xnormals plugins.
  • Bubba91873
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bubba91873 polygon
    I have read that if I created a high poly mesh to bake from that the hp doesnt need uv's at all... Is this true ?????

What does it mean to "explode" the models ? How should I split them the low and high poly ? By element, smoothing groups or some other method ?

Would speed things up for me and make it more attractive to try hp bakes.Laying out uv's for a 2nd model would suck but doable.
    I could create additonal geometry for the 2nd model and make them more detailed or borrow parts from other models that are more detailed and go that route as well.
    This is tempting to me...

Examples of this for me would be:
    1. Adding in additonal rivet lines along panels.
    2. Recreating hp wheels sprockets idlers.
    3. Making the gunbarrrel much smoother by using better cylinder etc.
    4. adding in tow cables and hand tools

The problem areas on the models duiring bakes are the dark areas under the vehicles such as the sides and bottom, which really looks like crap. I've been really rigid in only using the skylight and not adding in addtional lights to brighten those parts up perhaps and bring forth some details.

I do need to know if the 2nd model needs uv's or not for added geometry.

I do thank you all for the info you guys provided.It is appreciated even if i'm hard-headed.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The only unwrap that really matters is on the low poly.

If you'll only use the high poly for surface/mesh detail Normal and AO then you don't need to worry about UV unwrapping the high.

Only if you plan to bake the diffuse from the high, will you need UV's and even then they can be anything. It doesn't need to be optimal at all, the UV's can be a tangled rats nest and it won't matter as long as it looks fine on the high poly model.

As for the dark areas, Mental Ray doesn't factor in any lighting when it calculates AO, it only factors in how close geometry is and the surrounding angles. You could stick a hundred point lights under the thing and its not going to make any difference. The AO you bake without any lights is the same as the AO with a sky light, it has nothing to do with the lighting.

You could try moving the whole thing up higher off the ground plane and see if it allows light to scatter under it a little more.

You could also scrap using Mental Ray AO and start using a custom light set up and rendering out a diffuse map with lights/shadows turned on, then adding lights under it would help.
  • Bubba91873
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bubba91873 polygon
    The only unwrap that really matters is on the low poly.

If you'll only use the high poly for surface/mesh detail Normal and AO then you don't need to worry about UV unwrapping the high.

Only if you plan to bake the diffuse from the high, will you need UV's and even then they can be anything. It doesn't need to be optimal at all, the UV's can be a tangled rats nest and it won't matter as long as it looks fine on the high poly model.

As for the dark areas, Mental Ray doesn't factor in any lighting when it calculates AO, it only factors in how close geometry is and the surrounding angles. You could stick a hundred point lights under the thing and its not going to make any difference. The AO you bake without any lights is the same as the AO with a sky light, it has nothing to do with the lighting.

You could try moving the whole thing up higher off the ground plane and see if it allows light to scatter under it a little more.

You could also scrap using Mental Ray AO and start using a custom light set up and rendering out a diffuse map with lights/shadows turned on, then adding lights under it would help.

Thank you very much, sounds good.

What does it mean to explode the mesh for bakes ? How to break it up.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One of earthquakes contest threads gives a nice example of an exploded mesh.
    Just break out the elements and set a key frame for the starting position. Move the pieces out away from each other and set another keyframe.

cgw03ne6.jpg
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=53731
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I don't think you'd want to fully explode the mesh for AO. It can help with normal maps, but to get occlusion you'll probably need the geometry to be where it is supposed to be instead of being several inches away where it wont affect the occlusion.

What you will need to consider though is how the model is capable of moving. If you bake the AO from a tank turret onto the main body of the tank for example, it could look odd if the turret rotates, thus leaving behind its shadow.
  • ralusek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ralusek polycounter lvl 10
    and to be perfectly honest, if you don't want a high poly model, you always have the final option:

learn to paint values manually and shade it yourself :)

Baking AO is a way of saying, "I like the way the occlusion looks on this model given this renderer, so i want it portrayed that way in a given engine that will not add occlusion to such detail." If you come to that conclusion, it can be assumed that you are achieving that level of detail in occlusion in some renderer or another, and therefore want it faked in another. If that level of detail/accuracy has yet to be achieved through any render at all, then you can't expect to "fake" it by baking.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't think you'd want to fully explode the mesh for AO. It can help with normal maps, but to get occlusion you'll probably need the geometry to be where it is supposed to be instead of being several inches away where it wont affect the occlusion.

What you will need to consider though is how the model is capable of moving. If you bake the AO from a tank turret onto the main body of the tank for example, it could look odd if the turret rotates, thus leaving behind its shadow.

In that weapon's case.. 2 bakes were done. One from the exploded hipoly. And one from the unexploded lowpoly.
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    You explode the mesh to make sure that geometry won't affect geomtry that it shouldn't.

Let's say you have a trace depth of say 10cm. That means that anything within 10cm will be casting a shadow onto your AO map. This may give you unwanted shadows in areas you don't want them in. Obviously you can "fix" this by lowering the trace depth even more but then you'll get less shadows which may or may not be what you want.

The solution to this is to explode your mesh. That means that you separate parts t hat shouldn't affect each others. For example on the tank you may want to split off the barrel so it doesn't get a shadow along the bottom closest to the base of the turret.

It obviously depends on what you want to do with your model. For something static that won't be animated it may be perfectly fine to leave your barrel right where it is. Your AO map will look less clean but hey, who cares? Final results is what matters and if you can shave off some time to achieve it then why not.

EDIT: The same holds true for any map you want to bake from geometry actually... such as normal maps that someone mentioned. Normal maps can be a lot pickier with exploedd meshes than AO maps.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check out the RTT Assist script/plug-in it has some great options for exploding.
    http://vertexbee.com/rttassist.htm
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfnCz-TXAwk&hd=1[/ame]
    And things like the wheels and tank treads too, even the barrel as it rotates up and down will have AO problems where it connects to the main part of the turret.

But you might want to paint a fuzzy shadow so you have SOME AO there just not a harsh dark line. Instead of drawing the shadow you can bake the barrel with different settings to get something softer.

Or use another blocking mesh for the main body of the turret, one specifically designed to cast the type of shadow you want.

Like cryrid said you need to consider how its going to move and tanks have a lot of moving pieces and you want to make sure your exploding the pieces in groups or individually based on what makes sense not just explode everything just because.
  • samcole
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow, I wish they had a Maya equivalent to RTT Assist. Unless there is one and my search-fu is just weak.
  • Bubba91873
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bubba91873 polygon
    Thank you to everyone for their advice.
    Thers several options that are doable for me but will take some trial and error for me.And more reading...
  • Bubba91873
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bubba91873 polygon
    I'm going to establish a high poly model parts library that I can use to "float" geomtery above and on a 2nd model.Use this to bake from my maps from without having to completely redo most models into high.

This should vastly increase the quality of ao maps and would be beneficial to normal map making.
    Thanks for the ideas that lead me here.I hadnt thought of it before.

Heres a nice link for what i'm talking about, got this from the stickied thread on modeling shapes in this forum:
    http://robbylamb.com/Normal%20Map.htm