Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Wasteland Weapon

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Grimmstrom polycounter lvl 7
Hi Guys

I've been working on my high poly model for my new personal mini project. The idea is I wanted to create a brutal weapon made out of junk and spare parts. Below is what I'm come up with.

Its basically a lead pipe base with a railway spike at the end to create a pretty nasty pickaxe, alternatively the weapon can be turned round so that the fire hydrant valve acts like a sledge hammer, On top of that I've added a gas canister at the bottom that will create a flame to heat up the railway spike to a molten metal state. The gas valve at the bottom of the weapon also gives the option to use the flame like a burst weapon to create a flamethrower type ranged weapon.

HP_WastelandWeapon1.jpg
HP_WastelandWeapon2.jpg

I wanted to get some input before I move onto the low poly so if anyone of has any ideas to strengthen the design then its defiantly appreciated.

Replies

• jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    Nice idea man, I think its bad ass. My only crit is that the fire hydrant head looks a little small to me. I thought they were slightly larger?
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    Cool concept, i'm definitely into it - it seems to me you are taking some artsitic liberties with the size of the fire hydrant head, they are fairly large objects and this seems a little too small. The weight of the weapon is also off balance since a railway spike plus a large chunk of iron (the fire hydrant) would weigh down the front a lot and the tank of (propane?) would be fairly light and would get lighter as you used the gas up. I would think some counterweight is needed or something of that sort.

Finally hand grips, i would strongly assume this to be a two handed weapon and there is no other place for your second hand with the piping from the gas cansiter, maybe put some sort of metal grip over it so you could put your hand there without damaging the piping.

Still though, solid modeling and cool weapon concept!
  • shawnell3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is cool looking, i saw this and i was like i want to make this. but i agree with jordan.kocon the fire hydrant head should be bigger realistically. if this is an exaggerated piece just continue on with the progress.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    amazing idea. im concerned that it may require a bit more of a muscular person to wield something like that tho.

NVM THE LAST BIT
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    isn't a hammer always somewhat fron heavy? i think it fits pretty much for a very heavy dude swinging it, the idea is pretty cool, but i agree on the hydrant cap.
  • BenStrasser
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, really like this piece. If you were to counter-balance it, why not just use a larger propane tank that a BBQ would use?
  • MoreDread
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i agree the thing is way too heavy for anyone to use it but the incredible hulk himself. okay i'm exaggerating.
    it should also be thinner so you can actually wrap your hands around the grip.

if its supposed to be used like a hammer.. then there is no point in having a counterweight.. have you ever seen a counterweight on a hammer?

if both sides are supposed to be usable and heavy then the thing should be swung like a quarterstaff with a grip in the middle and yea that means 2 handed and it would have to be a bit longer.

other than those things i think the model looks great... it just wouldn't be usable by anyone... but its nothing that can't be fixed with a few minor tweaks.

you see alot of incredibly heavy weapons in videogames yet it just makes no sense...
    i know i know.. video games don't necessarily have to make much sense as long as its fun to play them..

but have you ever wondered how a silly weapon like that huge sword from final fantasy would perform in real life?

here take a look at that... [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Un1M7xbCCIs[/ame]

and if you think the guy is probably just to weak heres another clip

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNc7kHADtUw&feature=related[/ame]

hilariousness!

anyway your weapon is not as heavy as that sword, but its still heavy enough for you to get slowed down considerably.. and you wouldn't want that in a fight.. someone could defeat you with a spoon!