Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Andrew Gomez

Rowsdower
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Rowsdower polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys/gals. While this is my first post, I've been checking out the boards for awhile now....always enjoy seeing all the great art here (the Brawl contest was awesome, wish I'd entered)....now that I finished up my latest model, I wanted to put up my stuff and hopefully get some feedback.

http://andrew3d.carbonmade.com/

Open to any feedback on the work/presentation/layout.

Replies

• Rowsdower
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Took some time to get approved, so I wanted to bump this up, as it's already about 7 pages in.
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Layout is good, efficient and simple. Contents are pretty good too, but I just want to know which kind of 3D artist you are : character or environment?
  • samcole
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You might want to list out what software/engine you used for your environments. I didn't get a chance to look at your character work.
  • Rowsdower
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments, I'll add that stuff to the environment captions, good suggestion.

At my old job I was a generalist, so I sorta did some of everything, though it usually fell to environments. I really enjoy working on characters though, so I've been focusing on them for my personal projects.
  • sanketpro3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sanketpro3d polycounter lvl 7
    i liked the last character of your personal works, really nice.. the ogre could use some more contrast or sharpening of the textures. .. but overall nice work...
  • Rick_D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    love the middle character in your personal work :3
  • Addieo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't know if it was just me but I thought each thumbnail was a model as you normally see on other sites. A few more thumbnails to break up your characters?
  • Rowsdower
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. Might go back and tweak the ogre a bit...try and get a bit more out of the texture.

Addieo: Was actually thinking about that the other day....though right now to be able to give each piece it's own section, I either have to upgrade my account, or seek out a more flexible site. I'll see how things pan out.

• Rowsdower
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wanted to bump this as my portfolio has been updated w/ my comic-con character.....have things a bit more split up now as well as suggested earlier.

Any feedback is appreciated....things you like or dislike overall or piece specific, things to focus on moving forward, layout/presentation stuff...all would be helpful. Thanks.
  • Rowsdower
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Apologies for an update-less bump, was just hoping to get some feedback and the thread got buried kind of quickly.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really like most of your characters, but a few things stick out to me. The first character "archangel" is a nice model, but when looking at the wireframes, the wings do not look like they would be able to be animated. The edge flow is all wrong for getting nice deformation if the wings were to be closed or flapped.
    The Ogre is really nice and the texture is great but the normal map that you show has a lot of visible errors in it. Although the errors don't appear to show up on the model but I find they detract from the rest of the piece. Most of the errors could be pretty easily painted out I think.
    The Kroenen character is the cleanest character you have imo. The maps look nice and no errors in the normal map.
    I also love the first Misc character you have, but that penguin at the very bottom seems misplaced and kind of an after thought. It needs the same treatment as all the other characters, with textures and more images, or it just needs to be removed.
  • Rowsdower
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Was wondering about the wing topo myself, definitely want to fix it if it's messed up. Edited one of them...is that better or still not quite right?

Will mess w/ the ogre's normal maps and may end up dropping the penguin, as I agree it's a weaker piece.

wing_topo.jpg
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yah the left one is much better. Still could use a bit more geo to get it to really deform nicely, but the flow is more in line with what you would want.