Home Technical Talk

Unity material question

jclardie
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
jclardie polycounter lvl 8
Were having a problem when we try to rename a material and having the material stay associated with the object.

For example, I rename the characters material to JimBob_D_Material. The material works on my version. I copy the fbx (and meta), the material (and meta), and the texture (and meta). Another person replaces his local files with the new ones I created, yet his character still houses the old material. This leads me to believe that the fbx doesnt actually contain any material data, where else could that info be stored?

I hope i explained the situation clearly-

Thanks-

Replies

• commander_keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commander_keen polycounter lvl 18
    Because you say your copying meta I assume that means you have external version control enabled in the project settings? If not then copying only /Asset/ files will always break references and stuff (you have to copy and replace the entire project). I havent used the external version control stuff too much, but when you copy the asset and the meta file it should keep references. You may be right that its different with FBX assets though. Does it work on a custom prefab?
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It'll re-import the materials as defined in the FBX (or create new ones with the material names in the FBX file if one doesn't exist).

You can't change the materials applied to the source files (other than re-exporting the source file with the correct material name applied to it).

What you're doing is changing the material applied to that instance of the model in your scene - not changing the source file's materials. So when your friend imports the FBX, it's not got your changes.

You'd need to set it up as a prefab and send him that (with the meta) before it'll remember you've swapped out some materials on it.