Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

T-34-85

Hi there everyone!
New to the forum here, but I though I would share some of my work I just finished and maybe see what you all think. The project was to create a highpoly and low poly + textures WWII tank. Mine was T-34-85 and here are some renders:

Highpoly: Unfortunately my PC was dying trying to render it with a skylight (it was about 11mil tris) so cant really show any real pretty renders T_T

highpolyrender001.png
highpolyrender002.png
highpolyrenderwireframe.png

And here's my low poly with normal map and textures (about 18k):

lowpolyrenderwireframe2.png
lowpolyrender4.png

lowpolyrender5.png
lowpolyrender6.png
lowpolyrender7.png

Also a render from UT3:

inengine1-1.png

annnnnd... I think thats it >__>
hope you like and I would appreciate any comments ^^

Replies

• Paul Pepera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Pepera polycounter lvl 9
    The shape of the back of the turret seems off (too square), it should be more trapezoid-like. There also seems to be a lot of pointless edge loops running on the low poly that could easily be removed to lower the polycount or thrown at larger/more important shapes like the wheels or turret. The tiny insets/extrusions on the gasoline tanks should be handled by the normal map. Those tiny latches on the storage box, which also should be handled by the normal map, are also eating up geo. I'm not a fan of the diffuse texture, just seems like a grunge texture slapped on the mesh. It seems like your unwrap could be better since there appears to be a lot of inconsistency in the texel density. You have a pretty sweet high poly model there that is being let down by sloppy low poly work.
  • Beazel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good man!

I am guessing this was for Staffs Uni for the modelling module. If so it is the best tank outcome I have seen so far.

From what Paul Pepera has said he has given some sound advice. Might be worth posting up your texture sheets then people can give you an idea of where things need improving.

What it mainly lacks in terms of texturing is a specular map, when you do your spec map add some noise to it break up the specularity and perhaps add some noise to the normal too.

The diffuse needs to be broken up http://www.bigscalemodels.com/tanks/t34-85/t34_174_tank.jpg. Brown tracks doesn't really make sense. I guess you textured them to be rusty? the tank wouldn't be oporational then. If you were gonna make a rusty unused tank then you probably want more rust around everywhere else as well as dents/bulletholes from combat.

I saw on another thread you were talking about blurry Ambient Occlusion maps. Your best bet for doing AO maps is either in Textools or inside Xnormal. A lot easier and usually better results.

You shouldn't need to render it at all. Pop the Xoliul shader onto it and just take screen grabs out of max. As for wireframes change the object colour to whatever deselect the mesh press f4 then just screen grab from the max window (You made need to change the display colour to Object colour in the Display panel)

Hope this helps.
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    The dirt on the texture looks too uniform.
    Like the picture of Beazel : dirt, scratches are placed with a logical thinking, a kind of "story".
    Ex: top part has less dirt than the side and front because it's not hit by objects from the environment.

Also, you can pop up a bit the texture by increasing the brightness of your specular, just a bit and put in grey / black your dirt because it doesn't reflect the light that much.
  • Yoshiku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys!
    Really appreciate the comments as i want to improve more and more.

@Paul Pepera: hmm didn't notice the back looked a bit off... thanks for pointing it out! but yeh, I noticed plenty of little things that I could have use normal map for instead but that was after i textured it and looked at it more carefully the second time...

@Beazel: heh :) yes, it indeed is for Staffs uni module, cheers! and yeh, you are right about the tracks, I should have made them less rusty i guess >___>
    Thanks for the tips about the AO, I managed to sort it out in the end but i will look into your sugestions for next time.

@megalmn2000: yeh you are right, the textures in the end could have been so much better and add "story" to it, and thanks for the tips for the specular map I will sure to remember that for next time! ^^

Here are my textures (appart from opacity map)

DIFFUSE_MAP.jpg
    NORMAL_MAP.jpg
    SPECULAR_MAP.jpg

Feel free to comment on what would need more space or not, and yeh the texturing itself was unfortunately a bit rushed at the end so it's not as good as I could have made it.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Best outcome ive seen from that module this year, really nice high poly.
  • BDerrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good crikey, this is amazing. The detailing is incredibly realistic with the brushes placed in the right bits and the correct opacity, and the Renders of the tank is just outstanding.
    It's hard to think of anything to critisize really.
  • osk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    osk polycounter lvl 4
    I can not agree to BDerrick. Tank material is off. It lacks specularity and metallic feel to it.
    Dont use green specular color for this better to use white or slightly blue. Now it disapears and makes the tank look too flat.
    Texture still could use some highlights and well placed rust patches.

hope this will help (great tutorial):
    http://www.cgsociety.org/index.php/CGSFeatures/CGSFeatureSpecial/the_top_ten_tips_of_texturing
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    gotta agree with osk, but also that noise overlayed over normal map really doesn't help. It looks like its rushed and out of place.
  • Yoshiku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ osk: thank you for the comment and that link to the tutorial, it will defenately come in handy in the future projects :)
    and i absolutely agree with you, like Gheromo said it IS very rushed at the end... I always seem to rush the final texturing stage, mostly due to time constraints. Even tho I did that model a while ago now I still seem to have the same problem.... rushing it at the end, I really need to work on that... :/
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    I never has such noise on my normal map.

Also, try taking a cavity map, and mask it out with its high contrast inverse so that only edges are selected.
    Then convert it into a path. Finally, you can run any brush you want along that path to generate very useful masks for rust and paint... with the right filter style.