Home Technical Talk

Retopo In Zbrush WTF?

Hey PolyCount, im making a character for a class i am in this quarter and i decided to learn a new pipeline. I started with my basic mesh in Maya and did the rest of my detailing in Zbrush intending to retopo the meshes and unwrap after my detail was done. So im at that point but nothing seems to work as i had hoped. here are my chief complaints/concerns.

1. Why the heck does my retopo shrink to such an abstract size when using the retopo tools in zbrush?

topo03.jpg

2. Why does zbrush give me so many more faces than i want. I put one face it smooths that into 2?(ive messed with some of the settings under Topology Drop down but cant seem to get it to give me a 1 to 1 placement I want complete control over my low poly mesh).

topo01m.jpg
topo02.jpg

SO i atempted to rescale things the best i could but ended up not being very accurate so here is one of my failed Normal map attempts bleh...

normalattempt.jpg

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yeah dont do that. If you are limited to Maya and Zbrush, simply decimate your Zbrush model, bring it back to maya and use Make Live to turn your highres sculpt into a Live surface and retopo from there.

Good luck!
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    ZBrush, since 3.5 has had a scale issue when exporting the mesh. The worst part is, even GOZ has this problem where instead of actually keeping the size correct, it will draft a universally small mesh for all of your models. It takes some headbanging to fix it.

However, in all cases, us GOZ, it SHOULD export the mesh size correctly IF you imported a model in ZBrush which then you used that imported model for the Retopo, so in theory, it should work.

For the SD problem, if you notice, your mesh is being divided. ZB does this just incase you don't have enough polies and to better follow the mesh, but don't worry, you should retain your 'original' retopo regardless of it. If not sure, retopo something quickly, and finalize the mesh and try going down a SD level, it should work. (I know, I know, this is an extremely stupid thing Pixo did because apparently too many casual artists weren't understanding why their model looked clunky).

Also, with what are you baking your normals?

EDIT: Almost forgot, for future reference, DON'T use ZBrush retopo tools. They also tend to flip normals if the mesh isn't connect to each other (EI: Gloves, shoulder plates, etc) and have a bajillion other headaches. Plus, they don't deform whenever you add loops to your model retopo, so that's really nice, having to delete sections of your model.
  • PolyTech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    (Ace_Angel) Im using Xnormals for the baking. and if i shouldn't use Zbrush for my retopo what should i use? i have never used GOZ although my teacher went over it a bit this week. should i just retopo in maya? i think i might blow my brains out.
  • PolyTech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh and Pior im looking at make Live Tuts. im liking what i see
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    Ace-Angel wrote: »
    for future reference, DON'T use ZBrush retopo tools.
    What praytell should he use?

I've had all these issues hes showing up with in Zbrush, but they can all be fixed by watching what you do.
    When you export your mesh from Zbrush, Double check your Export Tap, as lots of times it gets set to some wierd numbers, Just make sure your scale is set to 1 and all your offsets are set to 0

The reason your getting the subdivision is that your not changing the subdivision level in the Adaptive skin pallet.
  • PolyTech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I should have watched the make live tut before i posted. Im sold this tool is the best thing ive ever seen! thanks guys for the speedy answers i am going to redo everything with make live.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Just press on GOZ in ZB and it will ask you to install to which program. You'll get a bunch of options, and once Maya pops (which it should detect automatically) just confirm which version you want it to work it (32 or 64 bit).

After that, it will export and open directly the model in you Maya scene. Here is a video:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nw3pdEqw8A[/ame]

At 4:00 it should interest you.

Also, for retopo, not idea. I'm a Max user, but I think Make Live from pior's post is a good start. Here is one of his videos even:
    http://vimeo.com/4960185
    Bonebrew22 wrote: »
    What praytell should he use?

I've had all these issues hes showing up with in Zbrush, but they can all be fixed by watching what you do.
    When you export your mesh from Zbrush, Double check your Export Tap, as lots of times it gets set to some wierd numbers, Just make sure your scale is set to 1 and all your offsets are set to 0

The reason your getting the subdivision is that your not changing the subdivision level in the Adaptive skin pallet.

That's a good question, and I said, I don't know since I'm not a Maya user (other then Make Live I would say) but honestly, the tools are simply too ineffective for them to even be considered...between Wrapit, Topogun, 3DC and even Blender, I would say ZBrushes retopo is more trouble that worth it.

Yes, I can watch what I'm doing, but does a person really need to bang their head on the desk a bajillion times because he forgot to make a correct cap at the end of the mesh, so now its flipping the normals?

The scale issue isn't even a retopo problem, Pixo knows this problems exists since v3.5 and didn't bother fixing it upto-date.

Just saying...I have enough problem to worry about when exporting mesh from package to package, I don't need the extra problem retopo.
  • PolyTech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahhh haa i didn't think to look in the skin pallet. i am also relativley new to Zbrush so ive never noticed the exporting options. But Pix tends to make users click all over the place in order to get simple results.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Yeah ... seeing Zbrush being marketed as a decent retopo tool makes me sad. Sure, it has some features for that but it can only create bad habits and, very likely, meshing problems. MakeLive is a bit of a hack but at least its fast and allows for regular modeling operations.

(Just to be clear : if it works for someone, it sure is cool then - whatever works!)
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    there are only two decent retopo tools... 3dcoat and topogun...
    i wont do that in z...
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    pior wrote: »
    Yeah ... seeing Zbrush being marketed as a decent retopo tool makes me sad. Sure, it has some features for that but it can only create bad habits and, very likely, meshing problems.

Bit harsh. I've been retopoing in ZBrush for years. I've never had many problems and I've never seen this scaling problem either. But there are some annoyances (as with most software)

I quite like Retopo in ZBrush tbh, Its quite therapeutic. Ok. Its not the slickest tool for it. But if I want a program to do all my work for me I might as well pay someone else to do it. Retopo in ZB makes me feel like I've worked for it.

Don't get me wrong though. I use plenty of other shortcuts and tools to make workflow simpler. If you don't like retopoing I suggest you try 3D coat or topogun.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Yeah totally - if it works, it's all good. But if it's becoming too much of an hassle, then it's time to look at other solutions :)
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    Zbrush retopo tools are not that efficient, but they are cool, and I like to use them. When I need to do retopo, I do most part on Zbrush and then I fix minor issues on Maya.
    About the scale bug and other related strange things Zbrush does, well, Zbrush is like an excentric artist. It's able to do wonderful things, but you have to used with it's excentricities...
  • fattkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fattkid polycounter lvl 15
    hey Polytech,

Id say ZBrush retopo is the worst of all retopo tools Ive used, which is most of them. Like Pior said, Maya Live will be a good option for you.

Lots of edge extrudes, and being quick on the draw with your Make Poly/Append Poly tools and merge verts function (i.e. hotkeys ;) ) - and you've got yourself a not too bad workflow.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Like bonebrew says, check the import/export settings on zbrush; otherwise the only things that will cause the scale to shift is if you change it with transpose or an offset/size deform. Also check your obj itself to make sure it's at the same scale as the model in your Maya scene (I'm not sure what Maya allows for export options, but in Softimage you'd want to export it using local coordinates instead of global). Make sure transforms are frozen, etc.

I would say zbrush has some decent retopo tools, but certainly other programs offer a better alternative (namely you can add more than one face at a time). Hopefully zbrush will see some improvements in this category in the future (I'm not expecting it for Z4R2, all they've shown so far is a focus on rendering), but until then you can make good use of GoZ, Decimation Master, and the Projection tools.

www.zbrushworkshops.com has a free demo workshop about retopologizing with zbrush and Maya. It might be up your alley.
  • PolyTech
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After a lot of retopo work here is my almost finished armor set. Thanks everyone who commented and helped me out i hope to have a really good looking character by the end of this!
    armorupdate.jpg