Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Anatomy help/critique

I'm working on some human anatomy for a portfolio piece. I'd like some critique and help with it.

Here are some turns of my basemesh with and w/o perspective enabled and then a turn of my level 3 where I started doing some detailing.

I know something is wrong in the lower chest area. The rib cage seems strange to me, maybe too small/large for his build type. Not sure. I've checked it against some font/side reference drawings but something is not working in the transition from hip -> oblique -> rib cage.

The outside of the arm looks kind of ass-y now that I look at it.

Any critique/paint overs/advice is greatly appreciated.

flat-o-tron
anatomy_turn.jpg

perspective
anatomy_turnP.jpg

level 3
anatomy_turnSL3.jpg

Replies

• JimmyP.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    he looks like he is kinda, shruging his shoulders, or scrunching himself in or something. not sure but its kinda off, Other than that and the forementioned wierdness with the lower torso the proportions look good and its a great start
  • JimmyP.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rib cage too long and hips to short maybe?
  • Jeremy Tabor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Tabor polycounter lvl 13
    yea, your average joe's clavicles are gonna lay roughly flat when relaxed.

Right now it looks like he just got a Gatorade bath :)

wrists and ankles look dainty, and there's not much definition in the lower abdominal/groin region, which I would say attributes to your mentioned issues with the core. Establish those bony landmarks and go from there, y'know.

I would also try to bring some more angles into his trunk - a more triangular build. The profile shot looks pretty fluid, but then your frontal is all vertical.

cool start tho.
  • esquire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys.

Dainty wrists/ankles - I'll fix those up.

Lower the outter ends of the clavicles.

I tried bring his waist in but it started to seem feminine. I'll keep messing with it and then add in the pelvic boney landmarks. Thanks
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    I would not bring his Waist in, but out.
    He doesn't appear to have any Obliques.
    Either that or there's not enough definition between the bottom of the ribcage and the top of the oblique muscles
  • Jasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jasp polycounter lvl 12
    i tried a quick paintover for the torso > hip part. Not very accurate, but hopefully that helps
    ZKRtZ.gif
  • esquire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh man thats great.

Thanks a lot!

Its like I can see exactly what I was missing as soon as it there, like it makes sense
  • esquire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the help so far, I beefed up the wrtist a little same with the ankles. put more weight into the heel as well.

As for the chest. I added in the obviously missing obliques that for some reason I didn't see. Abs are... I don't know I kind of got a shape that I like for them that seems some what natural but they don't feel like they have weight or flab inside of them like most people do. I'm not going for super muscular, just a little better than average.

Could someone help me by drawing on the Seratus muscles? I can never get the placement of them and/or how the pattern seems to work, I'm thinking the subtle ripples rather then the full fledged 24 pack.

Thanks again to everyones crits.anatomy_turn4.jpg

Here is something else I'm working on. Its pretty much "done" for the portfolio for time/check off's sake, but I'd like to revisit and improve things when I have time again. Crits are def welcome on this too.

demon_1.jpg
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    I think there's an issue with the placement of the pelvis and obliques, they seem too low and need some angle instead of being flat and straight, there's a visible "hit" where the external obliques sits on top of the pelvic bone. You can clearly see it in the pic below, plus as a bonus you can see the serratus muscle origin and insertion.

Rectus-Abdominis-Six-Pack.jpg
  • Hellstern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hellstern polycounter lvl 11
    a quick over. hope that'll help
    hcsvz.jpg
  • esquire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, I'll jump on that when I get home.
  • esquire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot again guys. Its getting closer.

anatomy_turn4-1.jpg
  • polozad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    polozad polycounter lvl 9
    His neck is obviously short, shin/ankles are too thin in front.