Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] –Stuburrito, Adam Guernsey/Character Artist

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
StuBurrito polycounter lvl 7
Hey everybody,

I am going to be graduating pretty soon and have started putting together my portfolio. I have been posting a lot of things on GameArtisans over the years, but lately it seems that I cannot get a decent crit. It makes me wonder where my art stands. I was hoping everyone here could check it out and let me know what you think.

I can take solid critisism, so please don't be bashful just constructive!

Here is the link. Enjoy!
http://www.adamguernsey.com/

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Well, no human faces (that first one is almost too extreme to count). Usually game characters have faces, mostly human. When it comes to marketing yourself to employers, this would be a good places to start. I mean, I usually don't even consider someone a character artist without a few nice male/female characters.
  • 3DLam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DLam polycounter lvl 14
    Hi Adam,

I'd have to agree with Cholden regarding faces. Character gigs are a tough thing to get into nowadays as competition is high. You need to show off a basic understanding of human anatomy. I think there is some promise to your work. There are some unclear design elements to your Deadspace-like security dude. Some elements you pull off nicely (the back and some of the front torso), others need refinement (helmet mask, ribbing on the main torso, and the leg plates.

I think the demon shows some promise. It desperately needs a pose. "How is this guy powerful and intimidating?" Material definition (what is flesh, what is metal, what is stone, what is lava, and what is the transistion inbetween?

Hope that helps. Stay at it!
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Hey there Adam, I agree with the previous posters. I agree that the Dead Space dude is the best looking one by far, mainly because he's actually lighted. You can see that you have some skills in Zbrush you just need to get all the elements of your characters up to the same quality. Maybe spend some more time in design.

Right now you only have characters in your portfolio hence you'll have a hard time applying for environment art positions. Keep working hard, right now I'd say you're not really there yet but it shows promise. :)
  • StuBurrito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StuBurrito polycounter lvl 7
    Hey Guys,
    Thanks for the replies, I now have something to aim for. I already picked out a few photos to do some facial busts. I got so involved in piecing everything together that I didn't even realize that I had only one face.

cholden - Thanks man, that was really helpful. I will get to making some faces asap. I always have problems with hair. Does anyone have a good tutorial for that?
    3DLam - I took a look at Dead Space 2 the other day and thought that I should re-design some of the elements as well. I will definetly work on the helmet and knee area. I should have the Demon posed and lit better in a few days as well.
    chrisradsby - Thanks for the kind words regarding Zbrushing. I will work on re-lighting some things and try for some better results. I should also think about making some enviros, I have a few peices maybe I will pull them out.

By they way does this expression look a little less extreme? When I sculpted him I gave him the grimace and learned my lesson because with facial morphs now if I move the eyebrows the normal get skewed.

face.jpg