Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

AK47 (Norinco-ish)

This here is a gun I'm working on.
It's going to be a lopoly for in an FPS eventually, so this is the hipoly for the normals, of course.
As the title says, it's based on the Norinco version of the AK47.
The front part (starting from the grip) is almost finished, the piece below the nozzle is busting my brains...
Details on the middle part and the magazine coming soon.

ak47grab01.jpg

Replies

• Eckxter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on the details.
    The magazine has suffered some curve adjustments, it has some flaws tho'.
    Also the grip has has been reshaped.

ak47grab.jpg
    ak4701.jpg
  • Addieo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking very nice so far, please don't render on black.
  • Korrax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking nice, I was planning on making an AK-47 soon ! Can't wait to see how this one turns out
  • Cordell Felix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cordell Felix polycounter lvl 9
    Your hp topology is nice man, great edge workflow!
    Keep going!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Great start.

There was a pretty amazing AK47 (or was it a 74u?) show in Pimping not so long ago, a russian guy did it, would be great for reference here. Anyone got a link to it?
  • Eckxter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dang, if I knew I had some comments I'd be posting some more results...
    Thought I'd get a notification e-mail with every comment, forgot to subscribe to my own thread... do'h! :poly116:

I haven't been working on it a lot recently, but I'm getting there!
    Anyway, here are some new developments.

Hipoly (with dark gray BG now ;p )

ak47hipolycombi.jpg

Lopoly, about 2.500 poly's (4.700 tri's)

ak47lopoly00.jpg

It's not completely finished yet, but I'm close.
    NOW I'll be sure to post some more!

Many thanks for the feedback so far!
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    No Lens flare? aww :(

Nice work!! Question tho, I see you've used quads and tris, do you triangulate the entire mesh to measure out how many quads are you working or do you just estimate it with the status on the top left cornor.
  • Eckxter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx Nitewalkr!

The statistics at the top left show how many polys and tris there are.
    Which now shows about 650.000 because of the hidden hipoly version(s) :).
    But if I would select the lopoly, then those right 0's would become about 2.500 polys and 4.700 tris.
    So I get to see the exact amount of polys and tris in the model, if that's what you were asking.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Double check your references there... you've got a strange mix of milled receiver features, stamped receiver features, and characteristics of two different calibers mixed in there (7.62x39mm and 5.56x45mm AKs).
  • Eckxter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @GarageBay9
    That's probably very true, but that can be explained.
    My most important reference pictures are on this page.
    You are right that the receiver isn't completely the same.
    The thing is, is that I'm remaking an AK47 from an old game and there the receiver is more straight.
    I'll double check with the guy I work with who is quite the gun-knower, at least more than me.
    And it's also him that in the end approves the models or not.

I don't really know what you're talking about with the different calibre characteristics.
    Do you mean the magazine?
  • Eckxter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little update.
    I applied some changes and added some details.

akbackdetail.jpg

akfrontdetails.jpg

akgaslever.jpg

ak90corners.jpg

Then I also have a little question.
    In the last image you can see that I have quite a few of 90° corners.
    I'm not sure whether I should chamfer them or not.
    Any tips or suggestions on which I should chamfer and which not?
  • jrlogan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jrlogan polycounter lvl 7
    For what reason are you wanting to chamfer? To smooth out you geometry or prepare your model for baking?

If it's for baking, then the so-called chamferring may not be necessary. The no1 thing to do is to make sure your smoothing groups match up with your UV islands in order to get the best results.

As a side note- I can see quite a few unnecessary polygons that could be culled. Also there are a couple of smoothing issues you should look into as these wont help your normal map :)

akhelp.jpg

P.S. It could just be my eyes but make sure anyway.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    jrlogan> Not accounting for possible performance loss due to thin long triangles, going bevels/chamfers might end up costing you the same amount of vertices as going separate smoothing groups/hard edge. http://tech-artists.org/wiki/Beveling

I'd personally prefer going for a beveled/chamfer approach. I find it easier going for less UV shells when it comes to working with textures.
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
    Your High poly rendering technique isn't doing you any favors. I would highly recommend using X-Convicts setup. It will show off your high poly work MUCH better. Its currently feeling really washed out.

http://www.artemstudios.com/2010/tutorials.htm
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    Eckxter wrote: »
    @GarageBay9
    That's probably very true, but that can be explained.
    My most important reference pictures are on this page.
    You are right that the receiver isn't completely the same.
    The thing is, is that I'm remaking an AK47 from an old game and there the receiver is more straight.
    I'll double check with the guy I work with who is quite the gun-knower, at least more than me.
    And it's also him that in the end approves the models or not.

I don't really know what you're talking about with the different calibre characteristics.
    Do you mean the magazine?

Sorry I haven't checked back in for a while on this thread.

Yeah, the magazine is the biggest glaring issue. It's a 5.56mm AK mag, and you've got what looks like a strange taper at the front of it that I haven't seen before.

Here's some really, really good reference for all kinds of AKs that you can compare and contrast to get an idea of how the different variants, uh, differ from each other. Some of the distinctions are pretty subtle (receiver geometry and details, rivet placement, etc) and some are more obvious (gas block shapes, dust cover appearance, buttstock, handguard and pistol grip forms, etc): http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/AK-47
  • Eckxter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx for the comments guys.

@jrlogan:
    It's indeed to prepare for baking and I'll double check the unnecessary geom.

@GarageBay9:
    Thank you ! That website is going to help me out a lot in the future, seeing as I'm going to be making a whole lot more guns.
    Btw, it's the Norinco Type 84S which has a 5.56x45mm mag with that taper you speak of.
    Now that I see it clearly, it does seem that my mag needs to be a bit longer tho'...

Besides that, I'll check into the bevelling and see what'd be best.
    'Till next update!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your detail prioritization is all over the place here on your low. Put your polygons to use smoothing out round shapes and improving silouhet, not modeling micro-details that the normal map can fake. A great example is the magazine, no need to model all of those groves in there, that eats up a lot of tris that would be better spent on the larger forms of your model.

Also, make sure you give a lot of detail to the areas that will be seen up close, the rear site area specifically. In your low you've got these tiny groves modeled in there that likely will never be noticed and cause problems with bake/uvs, but the main cylinders there are only 8 sided.

Let the normal map do what it does best: shading and micro details

And use you triangles for what the normal map can't do, rounding off your silhouettes.
  • Eckxter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've applying some adjustments thinking about preserving a better silhouette and whether or not a certain place needs some extra polygons.
    I hope I made some correct decisions.
    I also worked out the magazine some more.

Subjects of critique below:

akmagazinelo.jpg

(second bullet is for when the unwrap is done)

ak47lopoly04.jpg
  • Eckxter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Small update with a re-render of the high poly following the render setup from Artem Volchik.
    Also VPgrab as how you would see the gun in-game.
    Off to unwrapping!

ak47hi010.jpg

ak47lopoly05view.jpg