Home Technical Talk

3DS Max Alpha?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
ajv3d polycounter lvl 7
I've been using 3DS Max more than Maya recently, it's nice, I could definitely get used to it. It seems alpha can be a little bit of a pain though. The texture seen in this render is a 32-bit targa. The diffuse carrying the texture, and the alpha channel of the image is plugged into the 'Opacity' channel in 'Maps' portion of the material. Why can I not seem to get images with alpha to render properly?

The bitmap parameters of the 'Mono Channel Output' is set to ALPHA, and the 'Alpha Source' is set to IMAGE ALPHA.

MaxAlpha.jpg

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is it the gray ghosting that is your problem? Can't tell without seeing the RGB and Alpha of your map, but I bet that wherever you have black in the Alpha, the RGB has a different color than where the Alpha is white.... so that different color (probably grey or white) is bleeding into the Alpha transition zone. If so, fill the empty areas of your RGB with the same color as the used areas, then re-render.
  • CompanionCube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CompanionCube polycounter lvl 12
    you might have to uncheck 'premultipled alpha' in bitmap parameters
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    Also, you can try to set the ambient colour swatch to black. For some reason even if you have a map assigned to diffuse, and diffuse/ambient are locked, it still takes that ambient swatch into account with alpha.
  • ajv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajv3d polycounter lvl 7
    Hi CW, thanks for the tip, I adjusted the ambient color to black and it rendered without the bleeding white transparency.
    cw wrote: »
    Also, you can try to set the ambient colour swatch to black. For some reason even if you have a map assigned to diffuse, and diffuse/ambient are locked, it still takes that ambient swatch into account with alpha.