Home Technical Talk

Can't polypaint a new layer in Zbrush.

synergy11
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
synergy11 polycounter lvl 6
Hello, I have created a model and spotlighted some textures on it. Now I want to add a new layer to polypaint some highlights and other colors.

However when I add a new layer and try to paint nothing happens. : (

Any insight would be great!

Thanks.

Chris

Replies

• m4dcow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    Have you pressed the record button on the layer?
  • synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Did you convert the result to a texture at any point?
  • synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No I didn't click on create texture from polypaint or anything.

I chose colorize. I filled the model with a base color. Than applied a texture all over with spotlight.

I wanted to create a new layer to paint highlights and some darker colors in the crevices but when I added a new layer nothing would showup. (REC is on)

However after I realized that even though the function in zbrush should work. The result will not give me what I want anyways.

The problem I found is. Even If I paint highlights on a new layer over my model. It's going to "wash" out my base texture details. Because zbrush has no blending modes..

Is there a workaround for this?

I could export my texture to Photoshop but I will not be able to know where the edges are that I want to paint.

Ughh.
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    I encountered this problem too, but I dont know how to fix it.
    Glad I could help
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I think it's the fill layer function. If you used that, then there is a 33% chance that ZB will bugout with layer, it doesn't always happen, and the best you can hope for is them just screw up your Vertex colors if your use the T-Pose plugin later on.

Also, for the highlights, why don't you bake out your diffuse (final one) and afterwords, save another file of your project, collapse all the layers into one, and use a specific RGB color to paint the highlights in another layer? You could use Blue or Red to really bring in your highlight, and disable/enable your collapsed layers to see how it's coming along. Once done, delete your diffuse layer (for the time being) and bake our your final RGB highlights.

Send it in PS and screw around in it with levels and Master channels to make it white or whatever.
  • synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hrmm. I'm not quite sure I follow you about the hightlight painting part.
  • synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just figured out that using Zapplink will solve my problem about WHERE to paint the highlights and having the polypaint not wash out my base texture.

After I spotlight a base texture all over my model I can then zapplink into photoshopt to paint highlights and use the blending layers in photoshop to retain the detail and do other typical PS things.

Not bad! But I hope that zbrush incorporates typical blending modes (Overlay, softlight, multiply etc) into there polypainting layers workflow. That would be ideal. Wouldn't really need to use zapplink.