Home Technical Talk

Some Questions

copyright
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
copyright polycounter lvl 7
Hello, I have some questions about modding.

1) If you join a modding team or even an Independant game that does not require you to sign anything, do you have the right to leave with all of your work?

2) If you are, then how do you enforce it?

3) If they continue to use your work what can you do about it?

Thanks really hope Polycount members can help me on this one!

Replies

• percydaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If nobody signs anything, then it seems like nobody is protected. I can't see how they could stop you from leaving with all your work, and I don't see how you could stop them from using any/all of your work, they possess.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    no offense but if you dont trust them get shit done in writing.

and just taking off on them and restricting access too any assets you made is a dick thing to do.

but i do have to agree with percydaman with no agreements or release forums no-one is protected and nothing can be enforced.

is your work being used in a commercial product?
  • copyright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    copyright polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for the replies,

The full reason I am asking this is because a member who used to be on our team messed up a lot of things on our SVN without permission. We then engaged him and he said that he was making it " better " but we didn't give him permission. We then stated that he was out of the team and he threatened us that if we used any of his work then he would " take legal action " and he had " done it before " and he could " use some cash " . Even though nothing was signed I did not know how he could take legal action. I guess he was lieing.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    ah i seriously doubt he can take any legal action, though with someone that acts like that you should make sure he hasn't stolen other works and is trying to pass it off as his now, i have seen a few people do that before.

a bit un-pleasant but at-least you learned something, you should try to get release forums from everyone concerning the content they create for the project.

good to make sure everyone is on the same page about how work will be used and how people will be compensated, and to make sure somesone cant down the project.

though i am not a professional about this kinda stuff so i cant give you a absolute answer, so hopefully someone better informed comes along.