Home Technical Talk

Normal maps and heads

Hi,

I'm finally going to create a next-gen model with a diffuse, specular and normal map. I'm going to be doing a character, and I've been wondering, what details are projected from the high poly head model onto the low poly?

I know high frequency details like bumps and pores in the skin are one thing that normal maps do to make low poly heads look more detailed, but those can be done using photos and an automated process like Xnormal. So what are some of the low frequency details that should be modeled into the high poly head model for the normal map to simulate on the low poly?

In other words, except for the insides of the ears, are normal maps for head models mostly blank except for high frequency details? (I hope that makes sense)

Also, is it necessary for next gen characters to have a single texture sheet for body he head and body, or can there be a separate texture for the head and body?

I realize that these are beginner questions, but I'm relatively new to normal maps and I'm a little confused by the various methods I've seen used.

Thanks for any help!

Replies