Home Unreal Engine

Cinematic - Unexpected Camera Roll

I'm currently trying to set up some cameras in one of my levels so that I can record video for a walkthrough. Following the 3D Buzz video tutorials I'm finding it's pretty straight forward.

However, I am experiencing some unexpected camera roll with my animations. First I set up my camera, and then switch to the camera's view from within matinee as shown in the tutorial. I start the camera looking downward at the floor. I set keys so it pans up, looking at a doorway and then pans across the ceiling coming to a rest looking at a switch on the wall opposite the doorway. I've done it 3 times, and each time it seems to be moving exactly as expected. However when I check it again, or go back to adjust it, it's animation seems to have changed and added some camera roll, tilting it to the right as shown below.

5693473827_0c8eb7b36b_b.jpg

The top image is the view before it pans across the ceiling. The lower is after and you can see the severe cantid lean. When I'm animating I'm doing it from "within" the camera as he does in the tutorial, yet he doesn't seem to have this problem. Any light that you guys can shed on my problem will be greatly appreciated.

Mike

Replies

• esquire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Go to the frame in your Matinee where the flip occurs. Pop the keys to the curve editor by selecting the "Rotation Keys to Curve Editor" check box (thats not the exact name but its something like that.) Uncheck the translation ones. Then right click the key in the curve editor that is causing the clip and say Set Value. In the dialog box put a *-1 after the number.

I'm not sure why this works except that you'll usually see a -360 or 360 at that key that is causing Gimbal Lock(?) I believe. This should invert that number and fix the flipping. At least is has in the past for me. Used to be an old trick in UT3 but its worked in UDK for me.

Let me know if it helps.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    try selecting the rotation track in matinee and setting it to "useQuatrotation" or whatever it's called. That might help too as quaternions are much more accurate.
  • e-freak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No. Quaternions are bad (at least in Unreal) as they don't support smoothing in and out.

Can you please record the behaviour? There are three different possibilities here from your description:

a) You have a roll key (Local Y-Axis Rotation) set you didn't want - delete the corresponding key.
    b) Due to getting close to the X by 90 rotation you have a Gimble Lock - try hand animating the curves or start with a little less degrees.
    c) You have a 360 jump, meaning that the rotation value is + or - x-times 360. Check your curves and make sure you don't have any unplausible huge changes in the rotation.

Bro-Tip: Lower dat FoV. You wanna use something between 20 and 50 for some aesthetical shots of your map.