Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Library Project

I'm working on an old library level, although in the very early stages. It's my first modelling experience so treating it as a learning exercise. I started with something I thought would be simple, a book. I'll be using these to dress the bookcases.

Here is the High Poly I created
HPBook.jpg

Since there will be many books I need to keep the poly down on the game model.
LPBook.jpg

Here is a bake attempt. I'm not sure if this is reasonable or not really. There are so ugly black bits which might be okay once I texture it, but possibly normal issues. Is this simple too much silhouette difference between the LP and HP or should it be okay?
BookBake.jpg

Replies

• Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    How does it look from the distance you'll actually see it from?
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Before you jump into modeling a scene do you have reference shots, a basic block out for how you want everything laid out, and a general plan of attack? Do you also know what you are going to be modeling yet? I would not recommend winging it because then you get overwhelmed with ideas all the time and it just eats to much time. If you plan it out it will make the project much more manageable even if you are not that experienced yet.

Instead of modeling each individual book you might also want to model piles of books and full rows of books so it is faster to populate your level instead of placing one book at a time.

As for your bake I believe you can just clean that up in photoshop. However I would wait for somebody with more modeling experience then I have to give you an answer.