Home Technical Talk

Cryengine 2/Sandbox queries

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Gooner442 polycounter lvl 6
Hi all,

I'm looking at designing some environments with 3Ds Max and I'm expolring my options for a game engine, UDK or Cryengine.

Do you have to buy the first Crysis to get cryengine 2/sandbox editor?.. or is it available to the public for download?

Is cryengine 2/sandbox editor the same thing?

Does it only allow you to edit levels and only use content from the game to design your own levels?... basically can I use my own models from 3ds max and import them in the same way as you do in UDK?

Is the engine similar to UDK in that to make game environments you use modular assets and just attach them together to make buildings etc?... also is the grid such an important factor when designing levels as it is in UDK?

Lastly, anyone know of any good tutorials/forums/resources?... I'd really like to see something that compares the two engines, I will of course give both of them a go and see myself.

And I hear Cryengine 3 will be available to the public this Summer, partly why I'm considering learning this above UDK.

I have googled all of this but getting info on Cryengine doesn't seem too easy. Thanks, I hope you can help!

Martin

Replies

• Ben Apuna
    Check out this post from this thread in this sub-forum... it'll at least get you access to the Sandbox2 editor.

You can definitely use your own custom models and textures with Cryengine, check out this thread, but the import methods are much more limited than UDK AFAIK, luckily you are using Max so depending on what version you have you should be OK.

Not sure about the grid issue in regards to Sandbox, though I believe "the grid" methodology is really useful for creating modular assets in any engine rather than just as a placement tool.

My advice would be to stick with UDK for now, especially if you're just starting out. There are a lot more resources and information available for it in comparison to Cryengine/Sandbox.

On the other hand starting now with Cryengine2 may give you a great head start when 3 is released.

Either way, have fun :)
  • Gooner442
    Offline / Send Message
    hey thanks for your help, I will check all those out!.. I did general searches on google, didn't actually think there was much on polycount regarding cryengine as I never see anyone pimping anything or asking for help... crap I just saw you directed me to the Crytek Sandbox forum!.. I didn't even know there was one! :poly142: ...perhaps a Moderator would be so kind as to to move this thread over

I found this earlier too, really wets my appetite..

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=39&t=885013&page=1&pp=15

I had thought that I could choose my engine now and then Cryengine 3 wouldn't be so alien, I imagine anyone who's serious about creating games will be giving it a go... and I've heard it's much more user friendly than UDK, but so far with UDK it doesn't seem too difficult, perhaps after using materials and lighting I'll have a different opinion
  • Gooner442
    Offline / Send Message
    ...which max versions does cryengine 2 work with?.. is it only 2008 and 2009?
  • Ben Apuna
    Yeah sadly, I think so...

It's the one thing that prevented me from playing with it much, as I'm primarily a Modo user. I'm hoping for a standard FBX, or Collada DAE import option with the next version of Cryengine.
  • mystichobo
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    Gooner442 wrote: »
    ...which max versions does cryengine 2 work with?.. is it only 2008 and 2009?

Yes. Only everything from max 8 (I think) to 2009.
    If it's just static objects you are importing, ColladaCGF would probably do the job just fine.
    http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/colladacgf/index.php?title=Main_Page
  • Ben Apuna
    @mystichobo:

ColladaCGF looks great. I was thinking I'd have to write my own exporter someday.

• Gooner442
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeh thank you both for the links! I remembered yesterday that I actually have Crysis!.. so I now have the editor.

there isn't much info on that exporter, will that export all materials etc?.. do you know what it's limitations are?