Home Technical Talk

Methods for texturing large background objects to be used in game levels.

synergy11
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
synergy11 polycounter lvl 6
Hello, I am currently working on a project that has large rock structures that are in the level but out of the players reach.

These rocks are massive. And I am not sure on the best method of texturing them.

http://img543.imageshack.us/i/hugerocks.jpg/
http://img571.imageshack.us/i/hugerocks2.jpg/

Ignore the foliage I may or may not even use foliage for these. If I do they will be basic meshes and not painted into the texture.

I am thinking a tileable texture would be too obvious. However a unique texture will be too small resolution due to the size?

I am planning on using these in UDK.

Any advice would be great. I am trying plan as much as I can before hand.

I'll post a few images of what I have soon.

Thanks!

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Are you going to use ZBrush/Mudbox to texture or simple a Photoshop texture? There are two ways to do such a thing.

X - ZBrush/Mudbox
    1- Use layers to create the different layers (pun intended) that are reciprocal from one another.

2- In the first layer (call this Base) apply essentially the 'polish' or 'cut' color of rock. This means try to think what color a rock will be inside once it's cut or dug open (it's usually a pale color of the exterior one and more greyish hues). Apply it at an almost solid base.

3- The second layer should be one that uses a custom Brush/Alpha, one that emulates a non-standard patterns and doesn't look tillable (for best effects, change it to Color/Spray mode) and go lightly ontop of it, but unlike layer 1, don't cover the whole mesh 100%, simply, give it a general color that has a pattern of sorts. Note this is not the FINAL color that you want everything to have, it's more of a pattern/structure deformation feeling area.

4- Third layer should be darker hues, as if the rock was washed with water moments ago and/or has been muddied. This should help you define out the nooks and crannies of your mesh, once again, go over it not too hard but neither to soft, and build up darker colors in specific hotspots which look like they need darker colors.

5- Fourth layer should be the lighter colors, more ashy and dusty like, apply these to the areas that you feel the rock will have been more exposed to weather elements then others, to give it a worn look. Once again, don't be too gentle in applying the color, but don't overdo it at the same time.

6- Fifth layer will be the Marriage layer. Essentially, bring in a base color that you want to rock to have, choose a nice simple Brush/Alpha and Spray/Color it over your mesh. This layer should marry and unify the different layers from before, give your rocks smooth transitions. You might say that your will be 'destroying your work since you're trying to homogenize the colors under a specific color, but believe me, that slight variations will work wonders.

7- At this point you might want to create another layer, find a nice rocky alpha and attack a nice 'general' pattern to your mesh to break up things even further.

8- In UDK, you can create a Normal Map network (Detail Maps) which enable you to add a tilable texture to your normal, Normal Map, to give it a more rocky feel.
    unled1ku.jpg
  • mortalhuman
    Your picture, if too big for the screen space of the model, will mip out to a smaller version anyway, so depending on how big it will ever be at maximum onscreen would help to decide how big the texture will be.

For example if you were to put a 2048x2048 on a pair of dice, it will look good no matter how close you possibly get to it all the way up to full 1080p. But unless you were right up on that pair of dice you are only going to see a tiny mip map of it anyway.

So if the dice is on a table in an FPS like you can easily imagine it will only be maximum like 64x64 pixels, and that's all it's gonna show in the view. If it tried to use the full 2048 texture it would artifact wildly and look like some crazy effect and not a pair of dice.

So, figure out about how much screen space it takes up, and texture around or near that size. You will probably find that you can shrink the texture after the fact as well depending on your far atmospheric effects and stuff.
  • synergy11
    Offline / Send Message
    THanks for posting that breakdown Ace. A fellow Canadian eh?

ACE. In your workflow, how would you go about getting the nice boxy crack details in the model? Would you sculpt it or just paint it in the texture?

To mortalhuman.

I plan to have the rock pillars about as far away as in this screen shot's pillar.

http://img840.imageshack.us/i/udk2.jpg/

However I have found and modified the perfect texture from a photo that describes the very boxy crack details that are on the pillars in my first post. Its a 2048x2048 texture.
    However It repeats pretty bad on my zbrush sculpt. So I'm thinking of modifying the texture into a 2nd variation than spotlighting it over parts of the model in zbrush.

Or would this be better achieved in UDK by blending two textures? But I guess that will eat up resources. I plan to have many pillars on screen at once

What do you advise?

Also I noticed in that UDK screenshot I just posted that the far off background rocks look very good. I don't notice and repeating textures. How big do you think those textures are to get that effect?

Thanks again for the help guys.

Chris.
  • mortalhuman
    assuming the material on that pillar is diffuse spec normal maps you'd be surprised. It could be all of 256, it may be more like 512. Whatever it actually is, no matter how big it really is, it's only displaying avout 256x256 mipmap in that view, if the screen is downsized from say 1680x1050, it would be using like a 512 version of the tex, maximum at that distance/that screen space.

Regardless of how big the asset's texture is, it will only show a version that fits on-screen. So as long as it looks good from "as close as you can get to it" you can get away with a lot that even if you did go large it would still only use a small texture anyway :P
  • synergy11
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok I got you.

So your saying the textures on the distant rocks in the UDK screenshot are smaller texture rez. But not tiled alot so as the one tile of texture uses up all the UV space to get the coverage?

But from far away it appears crisp.

I find this topic of texture size confusing at the moment.
  • mortalhuman
    I don't know the tower off hand, but it is probably a couple of static meshes at most, and it probably does not tile things, but it prolly has rotated parts that reuse the UV space on the round parts, the little hooks are prolly static meshes etc.

High res textures are for close viewing - it doesn't matter how big you make textures, the bigger they are, the faster they are "shrunk" by switching to the mipmaps.
  • nordahl154
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    I'm gonna revive this thread with a question...
    Would it be acceptable to give these 2 giant rock formations each a texture space of 4096? Or should I break them up into several smaller formations that I can sort've tile? Or something else I haven't thought of?
    I only ask this question because these are able to be walked right up to unlike OP's dilemma, and I'm not sure how I should give it the appropriate pixel density to match the bridge/gateway.

M6fYW.jpg
  • Peris
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    even if you put a 4k texture on something huge like that, it will still look blurry up close if it's that scale.
    I'd say if you want it to look really unique from a distance, but detailed up close theres several ways to handle it

-use a unique texture (say about 1k) and a tiling overlaid detail texture that shows up when you get close
    OR
    -put a detailed tiling texture only in the areas where the player can get close, and make everything else thats far away unique but low res, and use a blend to make it seamless
  • sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    I would break those bits up into smaller pieces that you can tile. It's better to do this because then you can re-use the pieces you make elsewhere. Also it makes less work if you have fewer unique pieces.
  • Rick_D
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    or model it with a tiling texture using vertex colours or a different texture blended into the crevices for detail
  • Peris
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    Rick_D wrote: »
    or model it with a tiling texture using vertex colours or a different texture blended into the crevices for detail

Yup that's another really good way of doing it. I use this technique a lot actually =)
  • synergy11
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Nordhal154 will you post your progress here? I would love to see how you work that giant wall out.

I have been examining large rock structures from the Witcher 2. They have some big formations that look good from far and close....hard to tell if they are doing unique sculpted meshes or using tiling textures on basic geometry..
  • synergy11
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris, sprunghunt and rick-d.

I am newish to UDk could you possible show a basic example of the methods you guys are talking about? I'll buy rounds!
  • Ace-Angel
  • sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    synergy11 wrote: »
    Peris, sprunghunt and rick-d.

I am newish to UDk could you possible show a basic example of the methods you guys are talking about? I'll buy rounds!

to see how to make rockwalls out of tiling pieces have a look at the rock walls in the night and day map that comes with udk. From there it's all about just making the right pieces to get the look you want.
  • synergy11
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all those links!
  • bugo
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Here's my approach on that: Create your whole unique mesh, unique nmap+diff at 1024px

And then do 2 tileable textures of rock 512 nmap+diff+spec and use them as closer depth.

This way when you are far away, you will see the uniqueness of the rock and when you are close you will see the tileable textures. The range inbetween being able to see the tileable textures or not needs to be wide so you wont see anything popping out. You also CANT differ on colors too much in between these 2 materials.

You can use that video from Ace-Angel and apply the same technique.
  • synergy11
    Offline / Send Message
    But on a object as big as Nordahls, certainly 1024 texture would not be enough quality to view from far away.?
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, it's possible, you just need to multiply both the original texture (1K) by another smaller tilable texture (0.5K) and then square root the result. Tile the smaller one as much as you need so that when you get closer to it, the player will still 'feel' the detail.

Also, the further away you are from a mesh, the 'better' the bigger texture will look. It's usually that mushy middle, when you're about to get up and personal with wall that you start seeing the blurry parts of the large in the cracks as such.

In nordahl154 example, personally I would vertex paint if you are allowed to. It breaks up the tile real nice, you can really control what part gets painted what and...well...it just kicks so much arse.
  • Kawe
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    If you really want to be able to walk up to the wall I'd prolly say that you need to create LODs :)
  • Rick_D
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick_D polycounter lvl 12
    this isn't particularly hard to grasp. some things in games you just have to use tricks because the alternative isn't feasable.

sure, you can model and texture everything unique, or you can make a couple of smaller unique pieces and re-use them to get the right look, or you can use tiling blended textures.

each will have it's downside; so it's worth loading up a few games and seeing what method they chose, which would look better for your piece, and perhaps why they chose their method to try and get a better understanding.
  • barri allen
    Amazing thread!
    Polycount is the best community for CG technical information (and not only :)).
    Thank you mates.
  • synergy11
    Offline / Send Message
    So for the night and day UDK map it looks like they used one big unique rock model that they duplicated and resized/rotated and stacked together to make larger wall surfaces.

Is that not a waste of geometry? I could see that being a time saver due to less unique models but a lot of faces will be hidden or intersecting each other.

Also I inspected the material for that rock. Wow. It looks extremely complicated.

How would a newbish material guy break that down to fully grasp.? Or should I just copy it and substitute my own maps. lol jk!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers
  • 3shold
    Offline / Send Message
    3shold polycounter lvl 7
    Holy Bajeezus.
    I was having this exact same issue and randomly stumbled onto an active thread discussing it.
    Kudos.
  • sprunghunt
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    Is that not a waste of geometry? I could see that being a time saver due to less unique models but a lot of faces will be hidden or intersecting each other.

Wasting backfaces isn't really a problem. Most modern engines do not draw the backfaces of a shaded object anyway. Running out of memory is more of an issue.
    Also I inspected the material for that rock. Wow. It looks extremely complicated.

How would a newbish material guy break that down to fully grasp.? Or should I just copy it and substitute my own maps. lol jk!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

They are also doing some blending of a smaller map into their larger normal map. I wouldn't get caught up in the complexity of their material. Just make your own.

Notice that the rock also has 3 LOD levels to reduce polygons and allow for changes in the shader instruction count the further away you are. All stuff that others have talked about in this thread.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    The Cycle map is a VERY bad and good example for games. They're recycling assets left and right, which is good, but their complexity (especially the materials) is wrong, since no one would create anything more complicated then a simply multiply for detail material as opposed to the more complicated stuff like Fresnel and etc.

Honestly, you're making it more complicated then it should be, just check one of the other maps in UDK and try to get a general idea, ones that look like they belonged to UT3. That should give you a fair idea of how simply things can be.

Also, as sprung mentioned, LOD's come into play alot of the times, but since you're starting out, just forget about them till you have a more robust understanding of things and when and how they should function.
  • synergy11
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok thanks. I'll stick with the two texture blend idea, and worry about fresnel and other complexities. Later.
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, found the page I was looking for:

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/TerrainAdvancedTextures.html

The first half of the page is what will help you, and yes, it can be that simple.
  • synergy11
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for that Link. Ace.

I assume those material set-ups can also be used on large imported static meshes?
  • Ace-Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    They can be used for ANYTHING you wish.