Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Nicholas Compton, Environment artist/asset creation

ncompton13
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
ncompton13 polycounter lvl 8
Howdy every one, my name is Nicholas Compton and I am a recent grad with a bachelors in fine arts and an associates in applied science and I'm looking for to get a foot in the industry. This is my first time asking for critiques online so I'm a bit nervous. But I'm specifically after critiques on the content of my site. So feel free to leave me messages on what you think and thank you in advance.

Just in case neither link worked, http://www.nicholascompton.com/ here's my site again.

Replies

• feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    Hi ncompton! You've got a generally good layout for your protfolio but there's a lot of stuff to look at.

Many of the images seem to be fairly similar to each other. Are they WIPs? As a rule showing WIPs up front is a bad idea because it can give the impression that you don't finish things.

You could probably have something a lot more streamlined and pwoerful if you picked just three or four amazing shots out of all of those and put the focus on them. You can always put breakdowns and WIPs as links from the main page. Potential employers will only be interested in them anyways if you wow them with the first few images.
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    Welcome Nicholas, I'll jump right to it!

Things you need for a stronger portfolio as an Environment/Asset artist for todays industry: (these may seem slightly biased towards what I've seen in my college and early professional career, but I just want to help :)

-All of your final game art (assets AND environments) needs to presented in a game engine. Lot's of free good looking ways to show your stuff in-game. For example, the clear-cut, everyone uses it, but that's because it's awesome and works, yet still valuable way: UDK.

-Clear wire frame RENDERS (not screengrabs) showing good use of topology.

-Show your textures. Show whatever company you are applying for that you have a good notion of the UV process, and that they're well done with no wasted space.

-High Poly renders of your High Poly models used to create normal maps. If all you do is run a photo through a filter to get some bumps, that won't cut it. Not today, not tomorrow.

As far as all of those videos from various projects- they need to go. They won't get you a thing for the job you're looking for. Just being honest.

Only once you've got the things mentions above, can we then go over stuff like layouts for art sheets to snazzy up your presentation (if you so choose too) and things like website layout.

Good luck and keep chugging! Lots of great people here who will be willing to help, as long as you're willing to work ;-)

Cheers!
  • ncompton13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ncompton13 polycounter lvl 8
    just wanted to say thanks for the input guys.