Home Technical Talk

create lightmap atlases in Max

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
ajv3d polycounter lvl 7
Hey everyone,

Any Max users out there know how to create different lightmap atlases ? ...and is it possible to have different atlases on one map? Even more so, what is an atlas exactly?

Replies

• michi.be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    michi.be polycounter lvl 17
    Try Flatiron: http://www.texturebaking.com/
    It unwrappes you the lightmap UV-Set in a decent way an you can use your mentalray light setup to bake all the stuff.

You also can set up a MR sun-system and render it to textures. There are lots of tutorials out there. Iwould use a script because I dont have time to bother a lot with stuff which can be automatted.
  • ajv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajv3d polycounter lvl 7
    I've used flatiron before, it's ok. So I'm assuming lightmap Atlases are just the lightmaps themselves? I never heard the world Atlases used with lightmapping, that's why I asked. I thought it was something special.
  • michi.be
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    michi.be polycounter lvl 17
    A atlas textre is a collection of several small textures on one large:
    Like this: http://www.gamerendering.com/wp-content/uploads/textureatlas.jpg

It's for performance optimising.
    So if you put your small lightmaps on a large texture for example 4x 512px on one 1024px you will get a lightmaps atlas. ;)
  • ajv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajv3d polycounter lvl 7
    Excellent definition, thanks man hahaha. I have a teency question about doing it though, are they completely separate lightmaps baked and laid out into a single lightmap, or just larger islands of of UV's specifically laid out to take up more space in the 2nd UV channel?
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cman2k polycounter lvl 17
    In the case of lightmaps, the latter. These are larger islands of UVs from multiple objects specifically laid out to all fit into one 2nd UV channel.
  • ajv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajv3d polycounter lvl 7
    Cman, you're all over these issues! Thanks man :D OK, so lemme see if I got this... atlas is really just a fancy word, and when someone is referring to an atlas they really mean a big-ass island? So I can....let's say for example unwrap the GROUND PLANE, and scale that bad boy up really large in the 2nd UV channel and that would be considered having "an atlas for the ground plane"? :)
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    ajv3d wrote: »
    Cman, you're all over these issues! Thanks man :D OK, so lemme see if I got this... atlas is really just a fancy word, and when someone is referring to an atlas they really mean a big-ass island? So I can....let's say for example unwrap the GROUND PLANE, and scale that bad boy up really large in the 2nd UV channel and that would be considered having "an atlas for the ground plane"? :)
    NO
  • ajv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajv3d polycounter lvl 7
    What's the workflow for creating atlases and combining them into a single lightmap then?
    cupsster wrote: »
    NO
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "Atlasing" is the act of combining many things into one UV channel.

An "Atlas" traditionally contains many different things in it.

If you take your example, and replace "Ground Plane" with "a bunch of different props that would normally be unwrapped separately", then your statement would be true.
  • ajv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajv3d polycounter lvl 7
    ...but I'm NOT unwrapping each object separately, I've unwrapped the entire scene into the same channel. The entire scene is on a single map...
  • cman2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Even the 1st UV channel? This is unnecessary.

The whole idea is;
    1st UV channel -> Unique UVs per object, different materials/textures and what not
    2nd UV channel -> All Atlased to the same channel, all share one big lightmap
  • ajv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajv3d polycounter lvl 7
    Nah, what you explained is what I have setup. I was just told to put props and ground plane on a separate atlas and I didn't know wtf an atlas was, let alone having separate atlases when my entire scene is on a single lightmap....
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    then what you have is effective packing for one lightmap... you can make atlas when you need lightmaps of different density. that way if all props have their separate lightmap you can combine them to atlas to speed up rendering due eliminating texture switching in memory...
    this can be done depending on your technical level right in max or you can combine them in your game engine via scripting to alter vertex data.. :)
    kapis?
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what you have been told is to have ground and props that have direct contact with it in same texture... reason for that is what I said above.
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reason for separate "atlases" might be texture budget constrains.. I presume that it is large area
  • ajv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajv3d polycounter lvl 7
    That makes a lot of sense, thank you. So if each object has it's own lightmap (which is what I'm traditionally used to having inside of UDK) where can I find information on combining each of the maps to atlas inside of Max. There's nothing on the web, and this is something I would really wanna know. before you shoot me that is. *face palm*

cupsster wrote: »
    then what you have is effective packing for one lightmap... you can make atlas when you need lightmaps of different density. that way if all props have their separate lightmap you can combine them to atlas to speed up rendering due eliminating texture switching in memory...
    this can be done depending on your technical level right in max or you can combine them in your game engine via scripting to alter vertex data.. :)
    kapis?
  • cupsster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    in max right now it's not so easy work but standard unwrap utilities or better texture tools by @renderHJS should help a lot.. It's just packing separate object (can assign unique ID before merge) of 0-1 mapping into resulted merged mesh.. Than you can have texture lightmap atlas generated via some helper function or manually tweaked.
    if you make unwrap in flatiron for example, then you must somehow bring lightmap channel info back to your engine so you can map back to corresponding objects..
    from my point of view is making texture atlas easier in engine of your choice, then just export geometry for baking.

Think of that squares as unique, more complicated separate objects..
    lightmap_atlas.png
  • ajv3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ajv3d polycounter lvl 7
    I've been using TexTools 4.10 for some time now, I really like it, it makes life a lot easier inside of Max. I'm confused about how I can get each atlas to layout like the squares above. I'm assuming it has to do with the merging and setting of unique ID?