Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Shotgun Shell

copyright
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
copyright polycounter lvl 7
A little shotgun shell I made for a half life 2 mod. I think I did ok on the metal but the red part could use a little more justice. Any critique would be very helpful.

512x512 maps

Model:shellz.gif

Diffuse: ShotgunShell_Texture.jpg

Specular:ShotgunShell_Spec.jpg

Replies

• BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Does a shotgun shell in game really need that much detail? No one is going to see it close up and when they do it will be flying out of a shotgun.

As for the actual model it looks good though.
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    A shotgun shell doesent look like that iirc......all the ones ive seen, the plastic fits inside the metal, you have the plastic fitting over the metal. Specular is nice on the metal, red plastic you could add some ribs on the bump map? Something like this:

istockphoto_487422-shotgun-shell.jpg

Material wise the red looks too similar to the metal, it needs to look plastic, have a play with the gloss levels perhaps....
  • copyright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    copyright polycounter lvl 7
    My reference seemed to be made out of some cardboard , paper matariel, So I overlayed it with cardboard texture LOL
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    The red plastic is supposed to fit inside the brass shell base, not the way you've modeled it where it sits on top of it.

If you can, color your spec. The white spec is making the brass read as something other than brass. It's also a bit too cloudy and its making it seem like the brass is dented.

A 512x512 map for a shotgun shell is probably excessive for any game that isn't titled Shotgun Shell Examiner, too, but if this is just practice.

e: didn't see you were trying to make it paper. Paper shells haven't existed for a very long time.
  • RobertHammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RobertHammer polycounter lvl 10
    those modern shells always been made of plastic /mean the red part/

btw very old shotgun shells been made of coiled paper http://www.oldammo.com/november03.htm