Home Technical Talk

Environment White boxing

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
AlexLegg polycounter lvl 14
I came across this term the other day "Environment White boxing" but have no idea what it means? Can anyone enlighten me?

My only assumption is that perhaps it just means blocking out a level with basic white shapes.

Replies

• LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    I tried googling it... and this post was the first hit...
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Just like those Source blockout levels with orange grid textures, but then white. Nothing special really.
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    AlexLegg wrote: »
    My only assumption is that perhaps it just means blocking out a level with basic white shapes.

That's basically it. Its for testing gameplay before assets are done. It also stop assets that ruin gameplay from being made. Also known as orange boxing.

texture_1.jpg
  • beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
    Yes, there are a few iterations of a whitebox!

A Designer/Level Designer will rough out their level idea from 'concept' to in-engine without really measuring distance or heights just to get a real idea of their design in a 3d perspective.

2. Second Iteration of whiteboxing would be to clean up areas and set up the measurements for correct functionality of gameplay, game cameras/ framerate ...etc. It will be very similar to the image feanix posted. This Stage will certainly be tested the most. Alot of feedback should be coming up - so changes for gameplay, cameras and playable areas are imminent :)

3. Once most areas of the whitebox ( or what ever color it is by now) are decided on. It can be cleaned up even more. Cutting Meshes up into sections. Thinking of tillable,reusable parts. Fleshing out areas with minor details to get a good hint of the full scope of the level. ( my self have combined steps 2 & 3 depending on the size and complexity of a map).

Then youre all ready to farm your work out to the Artists! Spending more time on the whitebox eliminates alot of backward steps found later on in building an environment!

Heres a final measurements of the whitebox on my apartment. This is very simple and fast to create - and of course not much gameplay here haha.
    So i just grab those pieces and build my final visual meshes over top :)

wb_dimensions_01.jpg
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Whitebox, greybox, greyblocking. It all means the same thing. Modeling that takes place before any art goes in so the gameplay can be tested/locked down. Usually done by the level designer. Funny whenever I look at those vale white boxes I always think orange box. Which is the name of their game and means something completely different in the context of video games/technology.
  • AlexLegg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexLegg polycounter lvl 14
    Aha that makes more sense now. Thanks guys.