Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

19th-ish century house corner

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
This is my latest project. I found a concept by Olgutza on cghub and the ideas started to bubble.

I hopped to be done with the HP before moving back to Sweden. Hopefully i'll be done with it over the weekend (Eeeehehehe)

The concept look like this

717_max.jpg

And current WIP. I have the big windows, door, balcony with fence, drainpipe and a sign left to model in HP. It's weighing in at 10 million triangles atm, gotta love that viewport 2.0!

The only thing that's not HP on this image is the wall. It's just a tiling texture right now. I'm thinking of changing that and make it more unique with the window frame.

It's going into Marmoset when done.

--< I'd love both ideas and critique!

And yeah, a lion stucco i made for the things on the balcony. I went a bit crazy, but it was so fun :P

LionHead.jpg

HouseCornerWIP2.jpg

Replies

• VictorSantos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VictorSantos polycounter lvl 12
    Woah! Nice concept, It is always helpfull to have a concept like that.

I like the sculpture of the lion, you don't need to make it more detailed. Nice HP also!

Keep it up mate!
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    Nice lion head! :)
    I think the scratches in the stone are too small and too many, and the focus should go more towards the weathering of the edges. It would also help if you would break up the flatness among the stones to make them more interesting and pop out (something very subtle but noticeable).
    The brown spot near the bottom left corner looks out of place and I'd honestly think it would benefit the whole building if it were gone. :poly121:

EklIN.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 wrote: »
    Nice lion head! :)
    I think the scratches in the stone are too small and too many, and the focus should go more towards the weathering of the edges. It would also help if you would break up the flatness among the stones to make them more interesting and pop out (something very subtle but noticeable).
    The brown spot near the bottom left corner looks out of place and I'd honestly think it would benefit the whole building if it were gone. :poly121:

EklIN.jpg

One thing to remember is the scale. The doorway down to the right is two meters high.

The damage parts is not going to show that much in the texture, and the thing is that it's not stones. It's just plaster. And all weathering I've checked out for plaster is either completely broken or just clean. It's kinda hard to find a balance between interesting weathering and reality.

The brown/orange part is brick tiles. They'r very detailed and they make more sense up close. They'r also in the concept. I'll maybe put them behind the plster higher up to.
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you were to put damages on the outside I'd think that they'd be closer to the base, because that's where people will linger and occasionally damage it.
    It's a little hard to make out the bricks where the plaster is damaged, maybe you should size those up a little bit. :)
    And yeah, it would make more sense if you damaged some more plaster elsewhere, because it looks out of place just there by itself... all lonely... :'(
    I found these really nice references, maybe you could model yours after these.

UFfp0.pngbyr0V.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, your right and i thought so to. The damage wouldn't happen like that. But it would look so god damn boring without any damage. Tough it might be the wrong kinda damage. I'm planing of doing all the cracks with photo sourcing..

A close up on the bricks.

BricksWIP.jpg
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The bricks are looking better, now that I can see them individually. :)
    The damage on the curb looks nice, but it might be just a little too overbearing. It could work though, only if you applied that kind of damage to the whole thing, but I don't know if you're going for a relatively clean look like in the reference or not.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The lower parts of the house is stones. They will go down more in the ground to.

WIP on the windows. The part in between is till to be made.

HouseCornerWindowWIP.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess this is more of an shameless bump. I've quite of a drop in my productivity lately, witch sucks. But yeah, this is me starting to get back to it, hopefully.

Please tell me what you think :)

HouseCornerWIP3.jpg
  • jordan.kocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jordan.kocon polycounter lvl 6
    I like the damage on your walls, it's looking better than something similar I previously attempted. One thing I noticed with your last image though is the scale seems quite off. Maybe it's just because it's a cropped shot, but it appears as the balcony things are really small. In the concept it looks like it is almost large enough for a person to just barely stand on. Other wise nice sculpt on the lion.
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Looking quickly at your concept, I've noticed an issue with your windows.

Presently, your windows are flat with the wall surface. Look carefully are the concept, you will notice that they are recessed into the wall. I'm not sure how closely you are looking to follow the concept, but your proportional relationships are all off.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the damage on your walls, it's looking better than something similar I previously attempted. One thing I noticed with your last image though is the scale seems quite off. Maybe it's just because it's a cropped shot, but it appears as the balcony things are really small. In the concept it looks like it is almost large enough for a person to just barely stand on. Other wise nice sculpt on the lion.

I believe that was me tipping you about the same damaging technique :P

Regarding the scale, i think it's the balcony fence that fucks it up. The outcropped images have the same scale on the balcony. The windows on the balcony is like 2.3 meters high. But i see what you mean, the scale doesn't really come through.
    LMP wrote: »
    Looking quickly at your concept, I've noticed an issue with your windows.

Presently, your windows are flat with the wall surface. Look carefully are the concept, you will notice that they are recessed into the wall. I'm not sure how closely you are looking to follow the concept, but your proportional relationships are all off.

Yeah, you'r absolutely right. It's a lowpoly texture plane combined with the highpoly model. It looks kinda retarded. My thought was to model in the indents in the LP process, just forgot about it now when i worked with it.

Thx for the crits guys :)
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, so i need some feedback on something that just hit me. The window, it will be so frekking flat and boring with just a texture being the inside of the shop. So i thought i should model the inside of the windows. But the qustion is if it's gonna look any good in Marmoset?

Here's my idea..
    IdeScetchHouse.jpg

The 99% done lowpoly.. I just need to dulpicate stuff around. I'll do that after the baking..

LPHouse.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Window props. Should have done them afterwards, but what the heck.

BreadHP.jpg
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Props looking good!
    Making me a little hungry too...
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    First bake pass done..

The lionhead and the bread and what no will come later..

HouseFirstBake.jpg
  • MeintevdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeintevdS keyframe
    Looking good! Only thing I noticed is the following:
    sltrOlsson_001.png
    They seem to have the shape of #1 but for some reason I'd expect them to have the shape of #2.

So I'm not sure if the bake has a mistake in it or if it's my brain expecting something there isn't. But I'm pointing out just in case ;)

Anyway keep it up! Bake seems nice and clean.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeap, the point you pointed out is the most fucked up one. It wont even bake for some reason. It's not very fun when you're HP file is on 12 + million triangles and a bake takes like 50 min to do..

The second one confused me to, but it's just in the occlusion. I most have placed it underneath something when i baked it..

BTW, if you'r not listing to Boy 8-bit while looking you'r doing it wrong..

poop
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    Hey sltr, if your bake isn't working right then just cut some of it out in zbrush down to a small part if you hide most of the mesh then export it will only export what is viewable. Then work on getting the bake right using the 2 min bakes until you get a working setup, then bake the entire thing and that way you'll know it will bake correctly. If all else fails I just built a beast of a computer and would be happy to try to help you out in the bake.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well.. I'm gonna export the parts that was baked wrong and rebake them separately.. But baking 4k textures with 2x AA is kinda crazy :P My PC is actually pretty beaffy to, i got a 8 threaded 3,6 Ghz CPU and 8 gb ram.. So thanks so much for the offer, but i think i'll get trough it :)

The annoying part is just waiting for xnormals to load the HP file, and then the nrm will take like 7 secs to finish so you don't want to render out small test textures :P
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thouse mother-fers abow the window is really f-ing with me.. Or well, i have really done anything to make them bake better yet.. There still annoying though :P I'll but some support edges or something on them..

LP 90% done. Some stuff that needs to be placed a bit diffrent but yeah.. In the bake the lion is missing and the brad stuff is missing. Haven't cleaned it up yet neither. But hey! It's 6 in the morning here..

Tring out marmoset AdvancedRefraction material to.. It's on the right glass.. Cool stuffs!

HouseBakeWIP.jpg
  • DDuckworth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DDuckworth polycounter lvl 6
    Looking great, not seeing what parts you are talking about above the window that are giving you so much trouble. That reflection is looking nice too!
  • Oiban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oiban polycounter lvl 6
    looking great! how did you get opacity and reflections in the windows with marmoset? I've been trying to get this effect but I dont manage to get it done.

By the way cool portfolio too, love the revolver model!
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oiban wrote: »
    looking great! how did you get opacity and reflections in the windows with marmoset? I've been trying to get this effect but I dont manage to get it done.

By the way cool portfolio too, love the revolver model!

I guess the material is new for 1.3, it's called advancedRefraction or something like that. It's just above flatEnironment material. It only got Diffuse, normal and spec. The normal will only change the refraction (if you don't know what that is check it on wiki :)) and diffuse and spec is pretty much straight forward :)
  • Oiban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oiban polycounter lvl 6
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I've rebaked this now. Wasn't happy with the last result. I've bean super slow at working with this sicker, but yeah. Here we go! Time to frekking finish it!

HouseBakeWIP2.jpg
  • salacious_Crumb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    salacious_Crumb polycounter lvl 11
    Looking great. Can't wait to see the textures!

One question, how are you doing you're textures/uvs layouts? Are you doing lots of individual maps or couple of large maps? I'm still not sure whats right or wrong, or if there is a right or wrong when it comes to this.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's one huge texture for this one. In a game it would have been better to use a modular approach to this (and you could have used one huge texture there to. Since this is a single piece and a show piece i don't really care.

I've reused some of the texture but i wanted as much as possible to be unique.

I'll post my flats soon, block stuff in as we speak :)
  • Samfisher84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Samfisher84 polycounter lvl 9
    it looks really cool, cant wait to see it textured!
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some textures starting to come together.. Still have some major bake errors that i haven't fixed and stuff like the drainpipe is aweful. And yeah, I've heard that comic sans is on the way up?

A resized texture flat for anyone interested..

HouseCornerWIP4.jpg
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx quad damage
    Is the Balcony made out of a mesh or alpha?
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You mean the fence? It's alpha, it's down in the right corner on the texture..
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked some more on the textures.. Still have alot of normal puke to clean and things to dirt down.. Couldn't keep myself from playing with some night light settings..

HouseCornerWIP5.jpg
    HouseCornerWIP5b.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really need your help with my windows guys. There big, black with high white specular. Not working. I was thinking about shades, but who have shades in windows that's like 4 meters high?

I'm in a really low insperation/productivety curve i everything goes INSANLY slow atm. I'm just trying to be done with this. Just need it of my table..

And yeah, i know i have some big seams, white spots that looks like glitches or somethign and the whole drain pipe roof area is just shit atm..

HouseCornerWIP7a.jpg
    HouseCornerWIP7b.jpg
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So it's finally done. I REALLY need to move on now :P I've worked on this far to long!

More pictures on my site! http://www.vnyhlen.se/post/15460882208/boulangerie

HouseCornerMainBeauty.jpg

HouseCornerBeauty_A.jpg