Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] - Karin Hagström

Hello Polycounters!

Portfolio: www.karinhagstrom.se

This is my first post in P&P and I'm hoping to get some feedback on the content of my portfolio. I'm currently trying to land my first job in the game industry as a 3d artist, so any advice or constuctive comments would be much appreciated:)
I know the site is far from optimal as it's basically a blog but I don't really have the skills to make my own..

Looking forward to hear your (honest) opinions!

/Karin

Replies

• sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Hi and welcome to P&P :D

First of, you don't have your CV/Resume up at all? Or it's to hard to find.

I think you props looks great! The only one that i think you to some work on is the gasoline can (couldn't find a decent enough word for it, but the "bensin dunk" :P). I think the material definition on it is of. Doesn't really feel like plastic.

Is the sewers scene realtime? It feels kinda blurry. I would work some more on the brick texture, it's kinda dull atm. The scene would benefit some small props to. Something to look at. If it's a rendered images, go for UDK or something instead.

The two last buildnings are IMHO a bit dull. I guess it's diffuse and light only? Maybe work with a decent specular for it?

People tend to remember your worst work the best, so make you worst piece awesome.

And yeah, maybe lighten up you background a bit to? I don't really like a 100% black background. That could be just be though :P
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Hey there stranger ;P
    You don't actually have much on your folio that shows off your talent, altho you'l have more to add in june. I would focus on something that shows you know about wear, weathering & rust formation. Your first DNR asset was a perfect example of all these. Something just as simple in your personal work would be just the thing to sproose it up.
  • cdavisrun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your site or link doesn't work for me :/ maybe an issue for other people?
  • o2_is_alright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @sltrOlsson Thanks for your feedback! I'm glad you like the props. I've heard different opinions about the plastic can, some think it's spot on and I'm kind of pleased with it myself. It might be a bit too weather beaten though..
    About the resume, I didnt have one, but I've added one now:)
    And no, the Sewer scene is not real time rendered. I agree with you that it probably would improve if I took it into UDK. I will definately consider doing that, as well as adding some props.
    About the last 2 buildings, they are quite old now... Don't think I'll ever put more work into them. Maybe it's better to take them out?

@Mask_Salesman Why hello there:P Thanks for the comments:) I find myself in a situation where things are really starting to fall into place and the new stuff I do will usually be a lot better than the things I did the month before (which is nice). But I guess I need to visualize that on my portfolio as well..

@cdavisrun That's bad the link is not working... Anyone else have that problem?
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah, i say cut the houses out completely then..
  • Rogue One
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rogue One polycounter lvl 7
    Hey Karin

Murray here, we both where in dare together. Nice to see your work on here and looking forward to some more.

Cheers
  • o2_is_alright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I've added my resume and I removed the last two buildings.. Feels a bit empty at the moment but I'll add some more stuff in June if not sooner. Might change the dull, black background as well.

@Rogue One Hi Murray! Checked out your thread, great stuff! Dare... Good times, good times:)
  • Addieo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love your photoshop concepts!