Home Technical Talk

Photoshop CS5 memory leak.......?

fattkid
polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
fattkid polycounter lvl 15
Hey Guys,

So I just started using PS CS5 at work, and it appears to have a major memory leak issue. Within about 2 hours of opening and using PS, my machine will come to a grinding halt, as PS works its way up to consuming 11 of my 12GB of RAM. So then I shut it down. But it continues to run in my task manager for quite a few more minutes until it finally stops and quits choking out my machine.

And this is with just one not large image open, and no other 3D apps etc. open.
The only plug ins I have installed are the xNormal ones. Guess I should remove them and see what happens. Can I just turn them off somewhere?
Memory allocation in my PS prefrences is 7000mb
I turn off useless effects, like fading or animating etc.

Windows 7
ATi Radeon HD 5800 Graphics Card
12 GB of RAM

Any suggestions or thought would be greatly appreciated.....

Replies

• tristamus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristamus polycounter lvl 9
    I also have this exact same problem! It totally kills my computer after about 2 hrs. I am forced to reboot sometimes, other times I can just kill the process.

I have the same specs except I only have 4gb of ram.

I'm wondering if it's just CS5? Cause previous versions didn't do such things...
  • fattkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This has only happened to me on CS 5. Happened on another system I used with CS 5 as well.....

Dustin - care to elaborate? Of course, with an "At your own risk", "For educational purposes only" caveat/disclaimer :)
  • larolaro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    larolaro polycounter lvl 9
    I get the exact same problem, had it 3 times today...:/
  • fattkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

I think I might have found the problem/solution.......

I turned off "Enable OpenGL Drawing" in the Preferences>Performance window, and the leak didn't occur over the course of the day. Then I turned it back on, and now the leak is back.....

I'm gonna turn it off again, and see if the leak doesn't return again....

Perhaps others experiencing this problem might try this and keep us posted....
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I've encounted a similar problem. Many of us at work have to use the 32-bit version of CS5. It seems to be much more stable than the 64-bit version.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Have not had this problem, and I work with 1.2GB images for hours on end. OGL Drawing is on.

Is Aero turned off or on for you Vista and Win 7 folks?