Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Honest opinions about work to be on portfolio and skill level

Hi people, I have been posting on this site for a few months now and it has always been helpful when looking at the great quality being produced here, it just makes me want to push myself harder. Basically I completed my course in Computer Animation last June and this whole time I have been working on my portfolio. I would say that I have enough work but something inside me tell me to keep on creating new 3d work such as characters and environments. I really do not know when to say enough is enough and just apply for jobs or to continue on working on my portfolio. Below is a link with some of my work. Please let me know if I have good quality of work for me to start looking for jobs or if I still need to improve in some areas?

Thank you

http://www.krop.com/fuzzy1013d/

Replies

• Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reverenddevil polycounter lvl 9
    Hey fuzz, here some things in my opinion. I will mostly focus on your environments since that is my specialty.
    First off for me the environments feel very bland and don't tell much of a story. Take for example the city scene, I would have a light on in one of the windows or something suggesting more than just a hey look I modeled some buildings. Trash in the streets some more props suggesting that you're in a bad or good part of town etc..
    The scene with the computer on the table? The modeling here and in other scenes feels to bland to me. I am nor seeing anything spectacular here. I just looked and thought oh some models no feeling, thoughts or any sort of feeling. That's how I felt about all te environments. The lighting also didn't feel right to me in the scenes. Felt flat and un finished. I would say work on going tour scenes some more wear or feelings and emotions in them. Create stories behind eah piece and that is usually a pretty good starting point, in my opinion.

I would say for your next enviro pick something that invokes/ creates a feelin in you and figure out everything tht would exist in that world plan it out then start builing. Thin about how hte lighting would look and feel if you were walking around in that scene.

I hope I didn't come off to harsh, just trying to point you in a direction. If you need amything further or just tell me to go to he'll then go ahead hah.
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    I think the problem right now is you really don't have enough content to show what you like to work with and how well you do at both. You should keep working, but aim for stuff way out of your comfort zone. If you shoot for "amazing" and fail you'll usually land around "awesome". But if you try simple things you tend not to push yourself as much and once you fail simple goes down to horrible.
  • TortillaChips
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TortillaChips polycounter lvl 10
    There's a few things that bug me by the way. Firstly you need to check your written introduction, there's so many errors. It also says London in a random place, seems weird to me. Another thing that bugs me is how dark the main three pictures are, particularly the bunny girl.

I don't think I'm qualified to tell you about your skill level, but it looks like you need to spend more time on one particular piece, as the environments don't look like they took long to do unless they are your first ones. With the bunny girl you've gone for some initial forms but skipped the middle stage and gone for creases and small details. Work on the forms and proportions, get things like the hands looking good in low sub divisions before jumping ahead with small cloth details.

Also, try to figure out what area you want to do first, because you'll be able to improve a lot more working on just environments or just characters rather than doing a bit of everything.

Keep going!
  • fuzzio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the feedback guys, the renders and the eviromental stuff were some of my earlier work. The bunny girl is my latest image which was done 2 weeks ago and i have another character in the process at the moment.
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Right now, the chick looks like a wet dream and isnt even textures. The renering is bad, with grey and black shadows. The enviroments are to simple and bland. The stylalistic approach in the pirate haven needs to be pushed further with the textures as again, they are to simple. The Sky High looks like it was made in the 90's. Nothings is textured decently nor modeled. The Cold scene looks cool but is empty. The props are deceaving as the modeling on them is super simple yet you have some realistic rendering going on that makes them look nice.

Looking at everything, you need to stick to one things. You have characters, you have environments, you have super realistic lighting. What are you trying to accomplish? Who are you going to give this too that when they see everything, will hire you for the game/cinamatic/character position? You need to focus more on one things and to get it right. Doing to much general stuff will mean your good at a lot of things but never good at one thing.
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    my problem with the bunny girl is the render is too dark.
    But I think it needs some real attention to anatomy and reference.

Protip: Stay away from anime styles is you don't want to come off as a newbie
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ehh i like anime styles. xD ^.^
  • Amadreaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the core thing you have to answer is, what specifically do you want to do? Environments? Characters? Nail down what you're truly interested in first, then gun for it with both barrels.
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    Decent rendering on the environments, but I believe the props are too simple, and need some spicing up.
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    makecg wrote: »
    Ehh i like anime styles. xD ^.^
    Hey nobody loves a good classic anime more than me.
    But in the amateur sphere It has a reputation as being like training wheels for more advanced levels of character art.
  • Orchidface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orchidface polycounter lvl 7
    As some have said, choose a specialization and stick to it. I'm going to critique your environment because I'm an environment artist.

Your environments look completely unnatural and very CG. They have no grit, no detail, and no mood. Look at AAA game environments. You're not using reference. Look at photos. Do what they do. I know that sounds ridiculous but seriously.

One environment has a 500 year old computer on the table, a lonely box of asian food, weird broken planks, giant boxes, and a fan, all of which very very out of scale with each other. What is that!?!?

Get reference that is already awesome. Stick to it closely. Fan blades are not blocks and do not have perfectly brown cylinders in the middle. Nothing is one solid color! NOTHING. Buildings have drain pipes, dripping grime, much more varied windows and doors, fire escapes, darker and lighter sections of brick that read unevenly from the far, and tons of other things. Look at reference. Model things as they are not how you think they are.

Reference, reference, reference, reference. When things don't look good, look at stuff that does look good and make it look like that!
  • fuzzio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for your comments guys, I will take the comments to improve my work