Home Unreal Engine

[Tutorial] UDK Oscilloscope Material

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
feanix polycounter lvl 7
Just finished typing up a tutorial about creating an oscilloscope material. Let me know what you think!

Replies

• feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    Haha, nice. Been here for a while so it's kinda diluted with english accent now.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    At first, I was like "pfft, whatever, pan a gradient into uvs", but then after seeing all the parameters in the video I thought it was neat. It's funny, a while back I made a snakes particle that used a similar technique.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    That's pretty much how the oscilloscope in this is done. I animated the parameters using matinee.

http://www.vimeo.com/22880192

However I used a clamped sine wave instead of the horizontal line texture.

Good tutorial.
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    cholden wrote: »
    At first, I was like "pfft, whatever, pan a gradient into uvs", but then after seeing all the parameters in the video I thought it was neat. It's funny, a while back I made a snakes particle that used a similar technique.

Haha, awesome. Yeah, I guess it's pretty straight forwards stuff but it did take a me a couple of hours to get it working exactly right.
    sprunghunt wrote: »
    That's pretty much how the oscilloscope in this is done. I animated the parameters using matinee.

http://www.vimeo.com/22880192

However I used a clamped sine wave instead of the horizontal line texture.

Good tutorial.

It was actually that EXACT video, two days ago, that inspired me to try this out. :D Thanks for the compliment. I'm thinking about doing a follow on mini-tut about animating MICs in matinee.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Nice stuff Feanix.
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks haiddasalami!
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    feanix wrote: »
    It was actually that EXACT video, two days ago, that inspired me to try this out. :D Thanks for the compliment. I'm thinking about doing a follow on mini-tut about animating MICs in matinee.

Cool :) High fives all round!
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome! Thanks for sharing
  • ASHOOR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ASHOOR null
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Fun material. FYI there's an error in your math. The sine function always gives a value between -1 and 1 no matter the input. It's part of the nature of what the sine is. To get amplitudes greater than 1 you'll need to multiply the output of the sine by a number greater than 1. The wave look of the function occurs as an input value changes. Rate of change on the input determines frequency of the wave. As such the sine of any constant number is a flat line :) so you have a few redundant nodes in your shader.;)

For fun try putting a Ciel node between your whole chain of wave nodes and the input uv for your texture. You'll get a square wave. ;)
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    wont multiplying the sine just increase the amplitude? dont you need to add to it in order to move it upward, getting it out of the -1 - 1 range?
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well yes. It will increase the amplitude, which is the same thing as moving it out of the -1 to +1 range.

Amplitude is essentially the highest point on the overall waveform. So if you multiply the output of the sine by 4 the range becomes -4 - +4. The wavelength or frequency stays the same. If you multiply the INPUT to the sine, you increase frequency.

Adding something to the sine function moves the baseline of the waveform.
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah, Vailias, my understanding of the maths is poor at best! :( I was jsut shooting for something that approxiamted a sine wave, really. But thanks for the info, always useful! :D
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :) You've done a great job. Don't get me wrong. I like the effort you put in and the material does do its job. Kudos for that.

I'm just one of those who feels that a deeper understanding of what you're doing can go a long way toward creativity and productivity.. and your minor trig error actually inspired me to go make my own oscilloscope material via a slightly different setup to demonstrate the maths I was talking about. :D Built it about 2 nights ago, tweaked it tonight to have a calculated waveform rather than texture sourced one. :)

I'll make up a video tomorrow/tonight when I get home from work.
    You've reminded me of some other shader concepts I've been wanting to make a vid about for a while. :)