Home General Discussion

Make something unreal contest - 2011?

Hey pc,

This might be a newby question, but are epic running their "Make something unreal" tournament this year?

If not, are there any similar indy tournaments around?

Cheers

Replies

• Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    there's the brawl tournament. :D
  • Savior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sorry i meant tournament as in a game creation contest, not just characters and settings
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Would also be interested in knowing this... best bet is to ask at the UDK boards though. Come back when you know :P
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No non-love on my end when I mention this. Though I think it would be cool to see a "Make something" on any engine contest happen.

Pretty much a competition of all competitors working to make something cool on an engine of choice and based on that winner (whichever engine) & let there be some sort of winning prize to come about from it.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think PC is showing that prizes arent necessarily the future of online art challenges... but I get your point. Maybe there'll be something set up at ModdB soon or something?

F*ing love your Christian Bale bust in your reel btw... you nailed that expression, especially the eyes. And is that Gabe Newell at the end there? lol. Wish someone would model Bobby Kotick so we could replace all the zombies in L4D2 with him :P
  • crazyfingers
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfingers polycounter lvl 10
    Yep, don't need a prize to enter an art comp and kick some arse...

But F all this prize hate, cool prizes and big $$ is awesome fun (especially for starving artists and college kids). There is certainly room for both.

Edit: Oh yeah, I also got an honoreable mention in the last make something unreal contest for my FPS mod. I've gotten pretty good at nearly placing at this point and almost won 10k dollars, woulda taken a big chunk out of my student loans but i got beat by some great mods by people who put in a lot more time than i did. Still had a lot of fun competing even after walking home empty handed.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're looking for a pure game making contest, you could always shoot for next year's IGF.

Definitely not UDK specific, but you might want to keep an eye on TIGForums. Some very interesting themed competitions pop up now and then. The Versus competition just ended a little while ago. According to the rules it would've been perfectly fine to have used UDK to make a game for it.

If you're into coding your own games, here are some other community competitions that might be of interest to you:

Ludum Dare which seems to be geared to the rapid development of indie games. The next one starts in less than 3 days.

PyWeek, a Python programming oriented game challenge. This one just finished.

Java4K, a minimalist Java based competition. Got to wait until next year to compete though...
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Compete against the world! Make a game that gets the most downloads, youtube views, media coverage, hype, etc. Show them!
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That article just put up on the main page about the free cryengine coming out... there'll probably be comps around that time I'm guessing.