Home Technical Talk

Mirroring animations

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
Need to mirror a particular animation I made with a first-person rig (simple bones and a HI IK solver). Animated the right arm, and want to copy the animation over to the left arm. Both arms are structurally symmetrical, and the names match (other than the l_ and r_ prefixes). It's not biped.

I've looked around quite a bit, but couldn't find anything useful. I also have access to the "baked" animation with only the bones if that helps. Any way to do this?

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Unfortunately there is no easy way to mirror animations. It's not impossible, but there's a lot of matrix involved.

If the animation is simple enough you can copy and paste the x, y and z controllers in then scale the x or y values negative 100%.

You're probably better off re-animating the opposite side.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    I'm not too familiar with the Human IK in Maya (unfortunately...), but since its basically a copy paste of the motionbuilder rig..
    what you'd do in motionbuilder is bake the animations down on the joints from the rig, and then tick in this "mirror animation" checkbox before baking it back onto the rig.. thats not rly a part of the motionbuilder rig, rather a setting in the character controller back in another window.. but perhaps the Human IK solver in Maya has something similar?... while writing this, I'm kinda starting to doubt it though hehe

I like the idea of re-animating it though ;D