Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UDK Environment, Seacliff Temple.

Hey Everyone,

This is a little scene Ive been working on since the last 5-6 weeks in my free time.
I've posted a few WIP shots in the WAYWO thread but I think its about time to really feed it to the dogs ^^

When I started this scene there were a few goals I wanted to tackle. First off, work more modular and try to incorporate zbrush a lot more in my workflow. Furthermore try using instanced materials and get more grip on lighting a scene.
Virtuosics thread was a great help achieving on of these goals!
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=75364
Also the feedback Ive already received in the WAYWO has been great so thanks for that <3

So here it is, ~450k tris in total, ~4096x2048 textures.
Software used: 3ds Max, UDK, Zbrush, Topogun and meshlab.

Let me know what you think and feedback is very welcome.

Few more pics can be viewed here: http://www.timovervliet.nl/Temple.html

Temple_01_TimOvervliet2011.jpg
Temple_02_TimOvervliet2011.jpg
Temple_05_TimOvervliet2011.jpg
Temple_04_TimOvervliet2011.jpg
Temple_Sculpts_01_TimOvervliet2011.jpg
Temple_Wires_04_TimOvervliet2011.jpg
Temple_Textures01_TimOvervliet2011.jpg

Replies

• percydaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work! My only crit is that the lighting has a purplish tint to it, which I'm not a big fan of.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    looks pretty nice, the thing that jumped out at me as the weakest aspect would be the alpha plane looking trees. try to arrange the planes so that from any angle the trees seem to have volume, from the side they look a little flat. trees are usually one of the objects where you really want to add the polys to get the best effect.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    A low, sky colored heightfog will get rid of that "it's a solid box" transition between the ocean and the sky.
  • Kurry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow talk about quick replies!

@Percydaman, Thanks ! Ive added a purple tone to the shadows in the post processor. Maybe I should tone it down a bit more.

@PixelMasher, You are definitely right on the trees. I've struggled a lot to get these out and got really fed up with them haha. But you've got a very good point and I will revise these.

@Cholden, Thanks for the tip, will implement that straight away.

Awesome stuff, keep em coming !
  • Dragan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The sculpts and images look great, but i think maybe you should play around with the colors of the trees. Something about the purple leaves look off. or it could just be your lighting.
    overall the image looks great though.
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    This scene.. has no mood - There is no clear area of focus. You should really work on that in your next environment.

I think if you had some interesting lighting here this scene would benefit greatly - you need to work to establish some mood. This very over-exposed and over-done daylight setting hurts my brain.

Other than that it looks good! Keep going!
  • wi_2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wi_2 polycounter lvl 10
    To add to the previous reply..

The scene has mood, but it's a very common mood imo, it's boring, flat.

Scifi is scifi because it's all techy and shiny, adding a very common room in the scifi makes it less scifi, it would act more as a bridge from scifi to the common world.(hich can be great, but if it has no scifi reason, it will just feel like something that normalizes the scene, and we don't want the normal, we want the abnormal.

Think of a daytime, an emotion, happening. something that gives you a kind of 'story'
    pick your brain, a focus for the scene, and leave out the rest.

for example, right now it seems like bright daylight.
    the fire therefore seems out of place to me, there is already a sun, much more interesting would be ash, maybe bits of smoke from previous fires, telling the story of a previous fire, now gone because it's daylight.
    or you could add a bbq on the fire, giving the fire reason again.
    Emphesis for me would probably go to the sun itself
    A beautiful skyline, bright sun, blooming flowers, bright greens, birds, butterflies, seeds floating through the air, ahhhhhh the sun!

try to eliminate the things that kill this mood, and add things to enhance the mood.

Hope it helps, other then that good work on the assets.
  • Kurry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dragan, Thanks for the comment. You are not the only one commenting about it. Its unnatural the way it is atm.

@Seaseme and wi_2. Fantastic critiques, you hit the nail on the head and made me look at the whole thing in a completely different way. Going to work on this in the next few days.

Thanks alot guys, you are helping me a ton.
  • Seaseme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Seaseme polycounter lvl 8
    Kurry - No problem man. I'm sorry I didn't elaborate more in my comment.

One more thing I've noticed today upon revisiting this post - Those purple trees are very clashing. There is something about them that is throwing the entire scene off I think. If I look at the scene and do my best to ignore the purple then it actually does not look terrible. I recommend trying some more green with the trees, and maybe you can get away with some purple flowers or something in them.

I don't know, just one more thing I noticed.
  • Kurry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Seaseme.
    You are indeed right about the purple and it clashing. Working on the new lighting and improved trees atm so hopefully a little update little further down this week :). Thanks again for the feedback, really appreciate it.
  • Kurry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So back with a little update. Changed the lighting and trying to give it more of a "mood". Going for a morning after feel. Adjusted the layout of the center a bit and added benches.
    Going to add more flower pettals etc and a little altar/offering on the platform on the left and continue my struggle with the lighting ;p.

Let me know what you guys think. PS this is a preview build so mind the small lighting errors.

templewipsunset1.jpg
    templewipsunset2.jpg
  • percydaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's coming along nicely. What happened to the sun? It's looking a little flat now.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    the earlier shots were def more pretty - it was very pretty, in fact
    little deflated now, 'morning-after' alright.. everybody's passed out, the buzz has gone down, suddenly the women rn't so pretty, etc.
    :\
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    yeah, a lot of depth was lost with this new lighting you've got going on here. It looks like you're going for a sunset/dusk mood now? If so, go for it, just get some shadows in there, and nail the sort of contrast you had before. IMO, it was a solid portfolio piece from the first post, but if you want to go this direction, go for it! Just get this new mood at least as solid as the previous setup. :)
  • Kurry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks lads !
    You are right about the missing contrast and thats definetly what I need to get back. Still struggling a lot with getting the light the way I have it in my head ;p.
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No doubt that you'l nail it!
  • Kurry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another lighting update. I think am getting close to where I want to be with this.
    Only thing left to do is upress the trees and add small offerings to the altar.

templelightnew01.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like it, but your water is ass.
  • Kurry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, ow and thats not my water there (I think you mean the wavey stuff). Thats my plane with a mistshader which I havent scaled down yet :p
  • rumblesushi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice work, but I prefer the brighter, more arcadey looking originals by a mile.

The trees look pink to me, not purple. I like them actually.

There's a possible purple hue from a blue light perhaps.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh that's meant to be mist? I really don't see how or why its blue... I think height fog would work better? It should be less expensive than a tricky shader on a giant plane.
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New lighting is of course much better! :) I think the reason the way you had it at first is being liked a bit more is the subtle contrast in your textures that are now lacking in the now lighting scheme. The sunset is nice, however, EVERYTHING now has the color tint of the sunset. Which makes everything not differ from one another. For example, in your first lighting scheme, the earth landscape of rocks and dirt had a nice darker tint to them, and the man-made brick structures had a different lighting tint to them. Now, those are not seen really because of the overpowering sunset. Which IS what a sunset does to things in real life, but I really do think the first lighting setup works better for the diffuse maps you have right now.

However, this is your scene, and if your heart is set on a sunset, then do it. Maybe try tweaking the textures of your assets themselves now to get that nice contrast back between maps.

I hope that made sense, I've had a few beers... Happy Cinco de Drinko :)
  • Kurry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback again !

@Mark Dygbert, it doesnt really show well in the last screenshot but the blue is coming from the ocean underneath that mist plane. The mist plane is only meant for the "island" itself. Hopefully in the next update it will make a bit more sense ;p

@Southpawsid, thank again for the extensive feedback! It makes perfectly sense ^^. I'll definatly tinker with the textures like you mentioned. Cheers to you !
  • Kurry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calling this one done. I think I've learned pretty much the stuff I wanted from this piece so its time to move to the next one. Thanks again everyone for the feedback you've given me <3

Little vid: http://vimeo.com/23448349

TempleLOW_TimOvervliet01.jpg
    TempleLOW_TimOvervliet08.jpg

Offcourse any critique/feedback is still welcome so I can take that with me to the next project.
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    congrats on a bitchin portfolio piece!