Home Technical Talk

Weird smoothing/normal map error

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Tavor polycounter lvl 8
I'm doing a piece right now and I've hit a snag (3DS Max, 3Point Shader, normal map applied):

smoothing_error.jpg

smoothing_error_wireframe.jpg

I've moved the vertex in several spots to get it to work to no avail. What's weirder is, if I apply symmetry without welding verts, that error disppears and something else reappears. Any ideas? I'm stumped. I've also tried welding stray verts and edges, looked at the cage (found nothing obvious), and upped the iterations on turbosmooth to 3; none of that worked. I feel like I'm missing something simple/obvious.

Replies

• Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    You should show us the normal map itself too..

Did you have different smoothing groups when you baked the high poly normal?
  • Tavor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tavor polycounter lvl 8
    Here is the normal map:

top_base_normals_testcopy.jpg

I put a couple of smoothing groups on the object, but the surface where the error appears only has one.
  • DarkStar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    have you tryed to edit your triangle? theres a option to edit them when your in polygone and its called turn!
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    you should get a clean result if you manually triangulate everything, rebake, and then don't move your verts.
  • Tavor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tavor polycounter lvl 8
    I tried both those methods as well as going to vert mode and hitting the "Connect" button. I may have made it a bit better, but that error is still there. Out of curiousity, why should retriangulating work?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There are basically two reasons people suggest triangulating your mesh:

A. Max can give unreliable results, ei: Ignore your "invisible edge" orientation on quads and use the opposite, this generally will result in a distinct "X" shaped smoothing error, as the edge in the bake is running against the edge in the mesh.

B. When a mesh is triangulated for export, the mesh normals map change. This depends on your exporter generally, a good exporter should freeze the mesh normals before triangulation.

So, are you using Quality Mode normals in 3pshader? If not, this could just be basic max-crappyness.

Also, make sure that you're rebaking after every change to your mesh, if you move some verts around, or change your smoothing groups, this alters your mesh normals and you will need to rebake.
  • JonathanL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can try converting it to an editable mesh and then back to an editable poly. I don't know why but that has helped solve smoothing anomalies for me in the past.
  • Tavor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tavor polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the tips; I really appreciate it. I tried using turn once again. I rebaked with the edit, and, again, got marginally better results. I did switch on Quality Normals mode, but that didn't do anything.

After all that, I exported to the UDK, ran lightmass, and it worked. So, I guess it was a Max issue.
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    did you put the quality normals modifier onto your object?