Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Salt Flat Bike

beefskewr
polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
beefskewr polycounter lvl 8
Hey all,
I am a first semester student lookin for a little crit. This is a cycle I am modeling for extra credit and possibly a portfolio piece. It is going to be loosely based on a bike called Goldmember, which is a salt flat bike. I still have a ways to go on the model. I have to add the chain, primary, gauges, battery, supercharger, exhaust and several other hoses. I am thinkin fo adding head and tail lights. I threw some shaders on it for now because thats how the help I have had was available.

bike.jpg
bike.jpg[/IMG]bike5.jpg
bike4.jpg
bike3.jpg

Let me know what you think, I have a ways to go like I said, any tips can only make me better.

Thanks for looking.

Replies

• Razgriz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Razgriz keyframe
    Well, the bad news is that this is nowhere near the quality you want to put in a portfolio. It's not game-art right now, the render is a bit lousy and default-materialish, and the model lacks detail, interest, and functionality. I would really recommend searching the forums for others who have worked on bikes and cycles, looking at their process, how they use reference, and how their topology is laid out. The most obvious problem with the bike right now is that it seems you're making it up out of your head, which is a big no-no. Use concept art, or photo-reference for everything, especially at this stage in your modeling development.

The good news is that if this is truly your first semester, then you're off to a really great start, better than I was in modeling one. I think what you'll find is that the amount you'll advance in the next year or two, you won't want to keep this in your portfolio. Watch every modeling tutorial you can get your hands on, the internet is chock-full of them. I would start with polycounts wiki, and cg.tutsplus.com. Study how the pros do things, and what their techniques are, and I think you'll be surprised by how quickly you improve. I hope this is constructive for ya.

Good luck! And Happy Easter!
  • beefskewr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefskewr polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks for the feedback. Again this is not a bike of my design, http://www.autoblog.com/2008/08/09/roger-goldammer-official-world-champion-of-custom-bike-building/ and I am nowhere near finished with it yet. As far as the rendering, I had like one hour with someone to help me get some textures blocked in. I have to finish the bike, finish the background, add lights, change reflection settings and much much more.