Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Enviroment - The Dark Knight Interrogation Room

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
TheDarkKnight polycounter lvl 13
Wanted to try and take a shot at building my first enviroment and try to learn UDK.
Decided to go for a pretty simple scene from The Dark Knight movie.

dark-knight-interrogation.jpg

Basically at the moment I'm just blocking it out, before going in to build the high-poly's.

Was thinking about building some modular pieces for this scene, like the pillars, the walls with the mirrors etc. and using some vertex painting to add the dirt?

Current state of the scene :

blockout.jpg

Replies

• ayoub44
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ayoub44 polycounter lvl 10
    great scale man , really cool ... and modular idea will be a perfect idea :) good luck
  • TheDarkKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks ayoub!

Here's an update, just need to finish the lamp and build some security cameras.

blockout1.jpg
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Looking awesome dude :D My only comment is that the door handle is on the wrong side, but it hardly ruins the feel of the room :P
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Good start... are the window's bottom edges a smidgen too low?
  • TheDarkKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Matthew and Andreas!
    About the door handle, in the movie there are 2 doors, (just checked it) one behind the Joker and one on the other side which is mirrored so will be doing the same thing for the final scene.
    Which means at the moment the lamp is on the wrong side :)

And I agree about the edges, might be a little to low, thanks for pointing that out!
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    Ah I remember modeling this room for some high poly render fun way back.

I agree that the window edges are a bit low, but not by much. I think they're actually a bit too thin at the moment. Maybe its the view, but it looks to me that the main problem though is that the windows are too narrow.

The whole room is actually too narrow. Look at the space either side of the door in your pic and in the reference pic for example.

I'd address these things if you're trying to stay true to the reference.

One thing that stood out to me when watching the movie and doing my own little version of this room was that it wasn't the size of what a lot of movies would use for an interrogation room. I mean, its actually quite spacious. Your version is actually the size of what I would expect an interrogation room to be.
    I wouldn't know for certain, but I'd always thought lighting and a lack of space was supposed to have a psychological effect on the person being interrogated. Smaller spaces evoke totally different mental reactions from people than larger spaces with high ceilings.

I think they probably just decided on a larger room so they had more room for Batman to throw Joker around in.

Good luck with it. Hope my ramblings helped a bit.
  • TheDarkKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Hayden, quickly went over it and adjusted the general proportions and rebuild it using my modular pieces, also adjusted the width of the windows.

blockout2.jpg

I hope to finish the blockout later today with all the pieces modelled so I can build the low-poly's and get it into UDK

(don't mind the extra chair in the back, was testing some stuff for a final scene)
  • TheDarkKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick question :

Did some quick uv-ing of the window part and textured it with a tileable texture :

question%20%282%29.jpg

with the diffuse map looking like this :

map%20%282%29.jpg
    (The black part for the mirror)

Don't mind the overall quality of unwrapping or the map, was just wondering if this was the way to go for objects like this?
  • Hayden Zammit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
    You still need to widen the entire room. Are you trying to re-create it as accurately as you can or more just using it as a base to go your own way with it?
  • TheDarkKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You still need to widen the entire room. Are you trying to re-create it as accurately as you can or more just using it as a base to go your own way with it?

No not going for a perfect recreation, just something theresembles it alot, but according to some of the other ref I have it does appear wide enough with maybe the door just a little to wide
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Haha love the chair in the door... you'll have to remove one of them from the table in that case though ;) Keep going!
  • TheDarkKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Andreas, yea will remove one of the chairs for the final shot.

Finished the lamp High-poly just need to build the cameras and all assets will be done.
    Still wondering about the texturing part, but hope to figure that out when I get to that point

lamp.jpg
  • TheDarkKnight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Put in some cameras, I think I'm ready to start the low-poly and unwrap the whole thing.

camera.jpg

Cameras aren't posed yet, when I build the low poly I'll make them all looking at the table.
  • EMC3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EMC3D polycounter lvl 7
    Looking solid, I went through the phase where I did a highpoly for everything which didn't really need it, which I feel you're doing aswell with the camera and lamp, it eats up a lot of time and is only really worth it for something that has a lot more then smoothing groups to be baked in, and something pretty big, the only highpoly I'd do in this scene looking at it now would be the door.