Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Marcus Fenix Head

Hey guys just thought I would stop on by and post something that I just started tonight. I decided to take a small break from my t-recks and sculpted marcus fenix's head. This is my first human face sculpt in Zbrush and I'm pretty pleased with the result. I actually didn't use a base mesh for this one either, but started from a zsphere. Below you can see the current state of the sculpt and the reference image I am using.

marcusfenixwip1.jpg

Fenix-marcus-fenix-16480794-1413-791.jpg

Replies

• Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    Is he trying to kiss me through the screen? :P

It doesn't look bad for a first try, but you will want to check out some anatomy books or guides online. There are quite a few funny looking areas like the shape of the head itself, the eyes or the unsettling lack of ears!.
  • Dudeman95
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a little bit of an improvement.

marcusfenixwip1.jpg
  • Ryper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good start, his chin is too rounded though, he has a very defined jawline, he is also looking quite fat in your sculpt :p

here is another ref for you

keep it up though, gears is one of my favourite games :p
  • Dudeman95
  • bonds0097
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The characters in Gears of War are quite stylized. I think your best bet is to start with a generic head and nail the anatomy before trying to bend/break the rules.

Not to be mean, but this sculpt shows a lack of understanding of basic facial anatomy, which is crucial in order to make believable characters. Before trying to copy a certain style or capture a certain likeness, you need to learn how a face is supposed to look and how it is put together.
  • Dudeman95
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bonds0097 wrote: »
    The characters in Gears of War are quite stylized. I think your best bet is to start with a generic head and nail the anatomy before trying to bend/break the rules.

Not to be mean, but this sculpt shows a lack of understanding of basic facial anatomy, which is crucial in order to make believable characters. Before trying to copy a certain style or capture a certain likeness, you need to learn how a face is supposed to look and how it is put together.

I know I have to study more human anatomy, but I don't think it looks that bad. I think I'm still going to work on this some more in the future give him his signature goatee and head band.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    bonds is right but what he neglects to say is that by "highly stylized" he means "completely fucked" in their own right. we all love marcus but all the male characters in that game have more in common with lumps of raw ground beef than human anatomy. do the model, it will be a good learning exercise and you'll build your observation skills, which is a good thing to do, then for your next model, emulate a character that is recognizably drawing on human anatomy.

marcus has eyes like two pissholes in the snow and facial structure from a truck's grill, with withered strips of burnt bacon for lips. that much you've got right so far.
  • Dudeman95
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss wrote: »
    bonds is right but what he neglects to say is that by "highly stylized" he means "completely fucked" in their own right. we all love marcus but all the male characters in that game have more in common with lumps of raw ground beef than human anatomy. do the model, it will be a good learning exercise and you'll build your observation skills, which is a good thing to do, then for your next model, emulate a character that is recognizably drawing on human anatomy.

marcus has eyes like two pissholes in the snow and facial structure from a truck's grill, with withered strips of burnt bacon for lips. that much you've got right so far.

See that's what I'm saying. Marcus looked like a fun character to do and I felt like doing a stylized character from one of my favorite games. For my next human project I will definitely go for realistic and get all the anatomy down.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    even though he is stylized, you still need to get the major proportions down. id put the 2 pictures side by side and just scan your eyes back and forth and notice the differences. then try and adjust based off of that
  • 16bit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    16bit polycounter lvl 13
    You need to add a cleft to his chin.
  • roosterMAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 14
    more forehead!!!! also, the lips need to be fuller.

the nose is too straight. The bridge on the nose should expand outward more.