Home Technical Talk

3dmax Welding

Hello every1

Im wondering how to weld the vertex (or any other thing) in a editable poly, as an example lets say u create a box and turn it into editable poly, now using just extrude u want to create a simple ring from that box, how will u weld it at the end to make it closed? is it possible?

ty lots for any help

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can weld verts on open edges, or verts that are connected by an edge.

Your example is confusing to my brain, it would help to see what you're talking about. It might not be a welding issue but more of a "you should do it another way" like using connect to get a new ring instead of extrude.
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just make a torus instead?

Here is a random youtube tutorial which will surely show you the weld buttons:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5WrSEzupVI[/ame]
  • Niarblake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ty for ur asnwer

And yes my example might b a bit confusing, sorry, ill add 2 images now for the example, is not what im doing but shows clear what i want to do.

http://img683.imageshack.us/g/simplebox.png/

the first image is just the box turned into editable poly, the second one is a random object created by extrude, what i want is just connect or weld the 4 selected vertex to make it closed, not an open ring.

ty lots for help
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    Delete the 2 polygons at the ends and then either move the two sets of 4 closer together and weld with the right threshhold or target weld them together one by one.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delete the polys on the ends so the edges are "open" then you can weld them together.
  • mortalhuman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okay, 3 ways off the bat:

First, make sure the end caps of that are deleted, so it's like a tube instead of like a shapely box.

1: you can select each opposing vertex one by one and push "Collapse" and they will meet in the center. So if you grab the top/back of each side, hit collapse, then you move to the top/front ones and repeat.

2: you can manually snap or move them into the final positions they would be, then either target weld or weld them. The buttons are in the edit poly vertex subobject panel (the mode you're in for the screenshot)

3: you can bridge it, resulting in a new segment. To do that, select the border subobject option (3 on keyboard), select those two opposing borders, hit bridge, found in your command panel as well.

These are three options, each has a potentially different outcome, but each is useful in a lot of instances you'll come across in future. Hope I helped.
  • Niarblake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So that was the solution!

Ty lots for the help, i never would have guessed that :)