Home Technical Talk

Maya snap joint to component center.

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
malcolm polycount sponsor
Does anyone know of a tool that let's you select a joint, then select some components and snap the joint to the center of the selection.

Replies

• Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    If the components are deformable, you could select them, Create Deformers > Cluster, then with vertex snap on, snap the joint to the cluster, then delete the cluster.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I ended up using the center pivot to component from bonus tools then snapping a locator to it for each group of components. Was ghetto but worked.
  • claydough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    claydough polycounter lvl 10
    Does anyone know of a tool that let's you select a joint, then select some components and snap the joint to the center of the selection.

That could be a possibly complex tool depending on the conditions for positioning.

( multiple joints be positioned at once? non-destructive move joint tool positioning? alignment/orientation of joint to the components normal averge as well as positioning? chain's child positioning assumptions? etc... )

If simplest requirement being: from a selection of components, snap the joint to that average?
    In which case, please give the following a try:

download cly_selectionAverageJoint.mel

( opposite workflow from what you suggested "start from component selection then joint instead" )

// 1. from a selection of components whose average position is desirable
    // 2. execute this script

5637880962_889614f5f7.jpg

// 3. then select the joint whose position is to be altered
    // 4. shazam

5637881040_790f3487ce.jpg
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that's what I was looking for, basically to get the joints for the fingers in the right place. After skinning though I realized snapping my joints messes up their orientation so I had to make my hand skeleton in the top view and rotate each joint into place starting with the top of the hierarchy, that way all their axis are aligned when I curl the fingers.
  • TeZzy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TeZzy polycounter lvl 12
    Hey claydough,

any chance you can re up the script? Or do you have a new site now?

There are other scripts from you that looked quite useful too.

Cheers