Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

X-Com Soldier

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
dogzer polycounter lvl 8
Hey, I'm beginning a project for a x-com type game in Unity3D. So far all I've done is this full body armor.

I need some critique!

preview.jpg

I haven't done the retopo yet.

I was thinking in putting some ammo pouches around the waist/abdomen; also a pistol holster. Of course, I need to paint the face, and add a helmet.

C&C are welcome!

Here is a pic of UFO: enemy unkown for those who don't know the game:
erics-top5-xcom-dsf.jpg

Replies

• feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    The armours nice but you're departing a lot from the original x-com "personal armour" idea. The original armour had a x-men vibe (that whole game has a sorta comic book aesthetic, even tho its hard to tell at time. just watch the intro).

cRYJO.png

Theres a guy who's done some really awesome animesque concepts as well (check out his website and the rebelsquad page):
    5UuWO.jpg
  • dogzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dogzer polycounter lvl 8
    I love the concept art you provided! *saved in concept art folder*

Also, thanks for the link! that guy is a genius! Great stuff on his site!
  • dogzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dogzer polycounter lvl 8
    Made some changes
    *Put ammo pockets, gotta put the ammo somewhere
    *I noticed he was unprotected around the neck so I did some modifications.
    upgrades.jpg
    *Here are some helmet add-ons and their varieties.
    helmet_addons2.jpg
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Arne is a cool guy and an awesome artist-- here us his other website:

http://androidarts.com/

As far as the X-Com guy, I would preferred more 90's comic art influence, like in the original cinematics:

xmen-jim_lee-poster-sm.jpg

CableDeadpool-thumb.jpg
  • feanix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    feanix polycounter lvl 7
    *does an Overgrowth fanboy squee*

Helmet looks awesome! I really like the fully covered one, very Ghost in the Shell
  • dogzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dogzer polycounter lvl 8
    His gun!
    gun.jpg
    gun2.jpg
    Guns seems a little desaturated :-/
  • Nistrum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nistrum polycounter lvl 9
    hey man very cool stuff. i used to be part of the old cydonias fall team, i love the take on the gun etc. very cool :)
  • dogzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dogzer polycounter lvl 8
    Thanks! I'll keep working on it! Next thing I want to do is a pistol and a holster! After that maybe some sort of backpack. Then, who knows, I might start doing some environment tiles for the character to walk around!

Everything is subject of modifications, suggestions and critiques are always welcome! For example I'm looking at the kneepads, even though I like their cartoony feel to them, I feel that there's something I should do with them, add some sort of detail, because looks a little too rough... hmmm...what should I do?
  • JGcount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loving this stuff and I am fan of the series and especially the spiritual sequals, the UFO:Aftermath, Aftermatch and Afterlight.

Loving the armor, gun and the helmet in particular. The head is the weak point but I think adding colour to the shadows would help alot - across the whole body in fact.
  • dogzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dogzer polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah, many have told me they're not 100% about the face. Maybe the style doesn't fit the cartoonish amour. What do you mean by adding colour to the shadows?
  • ScribbleHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScribbleHead polycounter lvl 13
    dogzer wrote: »
    Yeah, many have told me they're not 100% about the face. Maybe the style doesn't fit the cartoonish amour. What do you mean by adding colour to the shadows?

He probably means you need some kind of contrast color to the darker areas, like in and between the kneepads and the thigh armor the area is almost black - generally your design is almost 2 shades of blueish-grey...maybe you could spice it up with a orange color or something.

color_contrast_and_dimensions.jpg

Contrasting colors is the easiest way to fast pop one or more colors, instead of having a bland color scheme.

Quickie overpaint, hope you don't mind :)
  • dogzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dogzer polycounter lvl 8
    Yes! You are right, I'll definitely have to play a lot with the colors! I'll need to retopo and uv first so I can take the texture to photoshop!