Home Technical Talk

Asset creation for Isometric games

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
randomind polycounter lvl 6
Good Morrow
I am currently working on a game in isometric perspective, like a classy dungeon crawler. It is mean´t to run in a browser so the polycount is ought to be fairly low. The texture style is going towards toony/ hand painted. My experience concerning low-poly modelling for an isometric view, and hand painted textures is close to nonexistent. So I was wondering if you can recommend a certain workflow on asset creation for isometric games or for that matter, any sort of advice on low-poly modelling and hand painting textures.
I appreciate any kind of help =)

Replies

• Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    As with "regular" game assets, focus on silhouette, make it interesting and make sure it reads well from a distance, mirror UV space as much as possible, don't include any details (or very little) in the modeling part, leave that to the texture. Open geometry should be fine for most engines. When texturing, set your material to 100% diffuse.

The workflow should be pretty straight forward, model, uv, texture then rig (or before texturing). If you're struggling with hand painting, you could add a high poly into the mix to get a nice AO base. That would mean highpoly, retopo, UV, bake / texture then rig.
  • Urizen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi there, well some time ago i bought a great video tutorial on www.3dmotive.com about assets and modular buildings that was really good. Mabe it helps you too. Thay give some sort of enfasis on UDK but hey, assets are assets and you`ll problably will found some good results after.
  • randomind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    randomind polycounter lvl 6
    thansk man =)
    im very greatful for your reply