Home Technical Talk

xNormal baking problem

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
thegreyman1 polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys,

I'm having this problem baking my maps in xNormal and I'm up **** creek if I cant fix it....
normalError.jpg
normal2.jpg
The problem is the big green areas pointed to by the arrows and you can see the effect this has in realtime. Its as if there was no normal baking at all- even on the rest of the barrel the normals are a bit weird, they work fine on the detail between the upper and lower barrel but not on the front or the gapped pieces at the top. I had some problems UVing this area but it UV'd just fine in the end so I don't know what it could be...

I've tried resetting the xForm, changing the smoothing groups, increasing the ray distance etc and the high poly and low poly are def lined up

any help here would be greatly appreciated!!! specially as I'd rather not have to re-do any of the mesh or UV's

Replies

• Bruno Afonseca
    unwelded vertices? flipped normals? do a quick auto UV, bake and see if it still occurs!
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jogshy polycounter lvl 17
    Some ideas:

- Sure all the LP's face are UV mapped and not overlapped.

- Render an object-space normal map to see if it's a problem with the tangent space computation.

- Don't use 3dsmax's max2obj exporter, it's very buggy. Use Guruware's one or SBM.

- Render a "wireframe and ray fails map" to see if rays are failing or you have unwelded UVs.

- Try also to apply mesh scaling ( perhaps your model is too big/small so the raytracer has problems with floating point accuracy ).

- Play with the "use closest hit if ray fails" and "discard back-face hits" options.

- Finally, test with a cage instead of using uniform ray distances or explode the model.