Camelot or Game of Thrones?

124

Replies

  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 7
    Yeah, I was quite frankly very disappointed with Feast for Crows. At least now in book 5, things are shaping up quite nicely. I have a feeling it is going to be much more epic than book 2-3.
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 9
    I'm at 65% through book 2 right now. The first half was pretty uneventful but things have really heated up. The lack of Dany kind of disappoints me though. I'm really curious how they will handle some things in the show next season.

    I've been reading them all on my iphone and actually loving it. This isn't the first time I've read ebooks, but it's the first time on my phone. Not having to carry around a book or an extra device is a huge convenience and I find white text on a black background much easier to read. Reading in the dark is also a big plus.

    My House Stark shirt came in the mail yesterday, wearing it now. :)
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow greentooth
    GOT just got nominated for a bunch of Emmys including Best Drama Series and supporting actor (Peter Dinklage/Tyrion Lanister).
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 7
    Frump wrote: »
    I've been reading them all on my iphone and actually loving it. This isn't the first time I've read ebooks, but it's the first time on my phone.

    I read the entire series on my HTC desire :D
  • Pseudo
    Does anyone have a link to a video of the Game of Thrones panel at comic con? The best I've found is a live-blog here - http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/07/21/game-of-thrones-season-2-trailer/
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir polycounter
    almost done with the first book.

    just want to say, i fucking hate Sansa. seriously, she's such a needy, whiny bitch. i thought joffrey was bad... but Sansa is something else! as much as i dislike the fact that
    ned dies
    , i actually WANT it to happen now because i want the cow to have a badass reality check.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 7
    almost done with the first book.

    just want to say, i fucking hate Sansa. seriously, she's such a needy, whiny bitch. i thought joffrey was bad... but Sansa is something else! as much as i dislike the fact that
    ned dies
    , i actually WANT it to happen now because i want the cow to have a badass reality check.

    Yup all her chapters just made me cringe, atleast Arya isnt like her.
    Its been a while but wasnt Neds death largely Sansa's fault? I recall she gave away Neds plans
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 7
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    Yup all her chapters just made me cringe, atleast Arya isnt like her.
    Its been a while but wasnt Neds death largely Sansa's fault? I recall she gave away Neds plans
    Eh.. Ned brought his death upon himself by threatening the Queen. He should never have been so open about it, and he also trusted too many people.
  • blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 13
    Prophecies wrote: »
    Eh.. Ned brought his death upon himself by threatening the Queen. He should never have been so open about it, and he also trusted too many people.
    It IS sansa's fault that she and arya didn't get out the castle and send back to winterfell though, since she told the queen she was to be secreted out of the castle before all the shit went down..
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir polycounter
    Prophecies wrote: »
    Eh.. Ned brought his death upon himself by threatening the Queen. He should never have been so open about it, and he also trusted too many people.

    it's a bit of a mixed bag:
    he ended up in pretty much a no win situation, the death of robert made that the harsh reality. had robert lived, things would have been much different and i think cercei would have fled the city. but sansa did go to her and tell her that ned intended to send her and arya away, which of course led cercei to act first and kill all of his men and kidnap sansa. neds ultimate death though was down to joffrey, cercei wanted him alive, joffrey was just being a cock. and as tyrion stated: if ned had lived, there would have at least been a chance for peace.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 7
    long story short Sansa's a dick.
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 7
    it's a bit of a mixed bag:
    he ended up in pretty much a no win situation, the death of robert made that the harsh reality. had robert lived, things would have been much different and i think cercei would have fled the city. but sansa did go to her and tell her that ned intended to send her and arya away, which of course led cercei to act first and kill all of his men and kidnap sansa. neds ultimate death though was down to joffrey, cercei wanted him alive, joffrey was just being a cock. and as tyrion stated: if ned had lived, there would have at least been a chance for peace.
    Thing is though, Ned's actions forced Cersei to kill Robert sooner than she wanted to. Had he NOT confronted her about her incest, things would have turned out differently. Although, she wanted to kill Robert all along. It just happened sooner than she had hoped.
  • rolfness
    game of thrones for me

    halfway through the first book,

    nice and easy to read, nice characters

    good description if a little repetitive.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir polycounter
    Prophecies wrote: »
    Thing is though, Ned's actions forced Cersei to kill Robert sooner than she wanted to. Had he NOT confronted her about her incest, things would have turned out differently. Although, she wanted to kill Robert all along. It just happened sooner than she had hoped.
    the timeline seems to suggest that Cercei was already intending to kill robert on the hunt, though. as his accident happened a few hours after their conversation, and there wouldn't have been time to get a message to whoever spiked the wine. it took them 2 days to get back after all
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 13
    I was looking for this thread I want to watch both will probably come back when I've checked these out I heard good things & anything that relates to braveheart/lotr is good with me. Afaik this is a combination of both? I'll check It out soon, pops said he liked it.
  • MasteroftheFork
    rolfness wrote: »
    good description if a little repetitive.

    Thats one gripe Ihave with the books. Martin always gows into too much description about all the lords in the scene and their houses and their sigils. Its important to know the major players in that scene but he always talks about the lesser lords that are completely nonconsequential.
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 7
    but he always talks about the lesser lords that are completely nonconsequential.
    For now... ;)
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 8
    This page looks like the CIA came and blacked out stuff haha. Enjoying re-reading the first book (saw the show before reading)
  • vargatom
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    long story short Sansa's a dick.

    She's just very young and incredibly naive, living in a dream world of honest knights and fairy tales.
    Most of her story going on will be about how she has to learn to deal with the harsh realities of such a medeival world.
  • vargatom
    Thats one gripe Ihave with the books. Martin always gows into too much description about all the lords in the scene and their houses and their sigils. Its important to know the major players in that scene but he always talks about the lesser lords that are completely nonconsequential.

    I disagree :) On second reading, once you know the whole story (up to book 5) you'll constantly be amazed by how soon he's introducing characters (and sometimes places) that are going to become more or less important later on.

    For example it took me a second reasing to realize just how many appearances Randyll Tarly (Samwell's father) makes in books 2 and 3. You know, the guy who basically said to his firstborn,
    either you go and join the night's watch or I kill you to make my second son the heir to my lands and sword.


    It's also interesting to follow how some of these houses change their allegiances and not just through the books but in the wars leading up to it. Or how they try to settle their frauds with other small houses that go bakc hundreds of years. This is what makes the book's world stand out from other fantasy, it feels so much more alive because everyone has a story (everyone noble born, that is - another important point).
  • blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 13
    im with vargatom on that--a lot of the minor characters play some role of import--he throws in a few red herrings, but oftentimes it's the description of the person that makes you realize the connections... like
    illyrio showing up in king's landing in book one, jaqen showing up in book four's prologue, etc.
    . Likewise, the details really emphasize this as a real world, not the disneyified fantasy worlds of most fantasy books post-Tolkein. Pull a random page and nine times out of ten you could mistake it for historical fiction.
  • MasteroftheFork
    Its true that all the little details give it so much life, what I ment is how obsessed he is with the banners and colours of every little hosue.
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 7
    the timeline seems to suggest that Cercei was already intending to kill robert on the hunt, though. as his accident happened a few hours after their conversation, and there wouldn't have been time to get a message to whoever spiked the wine. it took them 2 days to get back after all
    You're clearly basing this fact off the TV show though. In the books, it is a rather different story. Cersei wasn't planning on killing him during his hunt originally though. Ned's threat forced her to take action sooner.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir polycounter
    Prophecies wrote: »
    You're clearly basing this fact off the TV show though. In the books, it is a rather different story. Cersei wasn't planning on killing him during his hunt originally though. Ned's threat forced her to take action sooner.
    no... Varys tells ned that she had planned to kill him during the melee event at the tournament, and that she would try again soon. i literally just finished the chapter where robert dies, there was no possible way she could have gotten a message to anyone in his hunting party quick enough.
  • blankslatejoe
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 13
    no... Varys tells ned that she had planned to kill him during the melee event at the tournament, and that she would try again soon. i literally just finished the chapter where robert dies, there was no possible way she could have gotten a message to anyone in his hunting party quick enough.
    I always took Robert's death to be...an encouraged accident. The wine was extra strong, and Cersei had been having the squire give him the wine, brewed extra strong, with the hopes that some day it would cause him to do something stupid. That 'something stupid' just happened sooner rather than later. At least, that was my impression.
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 7
    no... Varys tells ned that she had planned to kill him during the melee event at the tournament, and that she would try again soon. i literally just finished the chapter where robert dies, there was no possible way she could have gotten a message to anyone in his hunting party quick enough.
    I need to find the part in book 4, where she explains very clearly what she had planned to do the entire time. But then again, I don't want to spoil it for you. You'll see. :)
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 7
    Lancel admits to it later in the story, Cersei told him to get robert drunk.
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 7
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    Lancel admits to it later in the story, Cersei told him to get robert drunk.
    Yes, but that doesn't mean it's what she had initially planned.
  • r_fletch_r
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 7
    Prophecies wrote: »
    Yes, but that doesn't mean it's what she had initially planned.
    If you've read the last 2 books it seems quite sure that it was her intention.

    [Details]
    Lancel Admits it to the high septon when Cercei is captive that she ordered the kings death, and the high seption is trying to charge her with Regiside.
    [/Details]

    that said I wouldn't be surprised if little finger was in some way complicit, he's got his finger in every other pie.
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 7
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    If you've read the last 2 books it seems quite sure that it was her intention.

    [Details]
    Lancel Admits it to the high septon when Cercei is captive that she ordered the kings death, and the high seption is trying to charge her with Regiside.
    [/Details]

    that said I wouldn't be surprised if little finger was in some way complicit, he's got his finger in every other pie.

    I'm reading A Dance with Dragons as we speak. :D
    Yeah, it WAS her intention to kill the king. What I'm trying to say, is, she hadn't planned on getting Robert killed so soon, because of Ned. Regardless, it doesn't really matter. Last book is incredible so far. :D
  • McGreed
    Offline / Send Message
    McGreed Polycount Sponsor
    Arghhh! Go away, CIA! Damnit...lol, this current page is really bad with black marker. :) I kinda want to read the books, but on the other hand, really don't want to know to much when there series continue on TV.
  • MasteroftheFork
    The books are better than the show, they're worth reading first imo. The show is still great though :)
  • Will Faucher
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 7
    The books are better than the show, they're worth reading first imo. The show is still great though :)
    I agree. I definitely did not enjoy the show less because I read all the books before the series came out. I actually ended up appreciating it more, because I knew exactly who every character was, and who they were (or weren't) destined to be.
    Besides, it's going to be a while before they actually make it to book 5 I would think! :D
  • Martin Henriksson
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    [ame] Pretty cool behind the scenes video showing off the CG. Didnt think THAT much of the scenery was CG tbh :p
  • Stradigos
    Nice find! Pretty cool =]
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 8
    Didnt think THAT much of the scenery was CG tbh :p

    really? I noticed most of it.
  • Acr0
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir polycounter
    i'm almost at the end of the second book now (fantastic read)

    and a thought has struck me, figured it might be worth some discussion...
    does anybody think Jon might actually be a bastard child of Lyanna and Robert, rather than a son of Eddard? it makes a certain sense, he has Roberts black hair and bright blue eyes, and of course looks like a start from Lyanna. it would also explain why Eddard refuses to talk about his mother... Lyanna's dying words to him were "promise me, ned". which implies she needs/wants him to do something for her. And whether Robert knew and asked Eddard to ward the child or not, Eddard would have done it for Lyanna and/or Robert. and Eddard hates lying so it all has a certain sense to it...
  • vargatom
    Well, there's a lot of logic in that!
    It does make a lot of sense for someone else to be the father instead of honest and faithful Eddard, and Lyanna to be the mother so that Jon still has Stark blood.
    However, Robert and Lyanna have never gotten together, as she was taken before the wedding (which is also why Catelyn wasn't married to Brandon Stark before he died in King's Landing with his father - it was supposed to be a triple wedding, with Jon Arryn marrying Lysa Tully).

    Only read further if you really want to...
    But there is another man who could have been the father because he had the opportunity, and there are a lot of clues to support it.
    See, Lyanna might not have been kidnapped at all, as Robert believes. She might have willingly chosen to escape from an arranged marriage with the drunkard womanizer, to be with the dragon prince who had chosen her as Queen of Love and Beauty at the tournament in Harrenhal, because he was the man she fell in love with.
    So, the most likely father of Jon is Rhaegar Targaryen, and that's something Eddard really must have promised to keep in secret, as Robert surely would have killed him with the other Targaryen children in revenge.
    It also fits with all of Martin's other tragic romances as a version of the classic "Romeo and Juliet" love story; and puts Jon into a far more important position, especially if you consider Dany's dragons over the sea, and her need for two more dragon riders... Oh and he also becomes the legit heir to the Iron Throne as a direct male descendant of King Aerys.

    Not that I'm that clever though ;) it's probably one of the first things to stumble upon if you google anything about GoT and a very popular fan theory. Martin even complained about it, saying that nowadays if one reader finds out about something, it means everyone's gonna now it because of the internet :)
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir polycounter
    so what you're saying is...
    snape killed dumbledore?

    interesting stuff though, finished book 2, starting storm of swords now :D
124
Sign In or Register to comment.